Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice from landlord. How long?

Options
  • 27-06-2006 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

Simple question(I think:) ). Legally how much notice must a landlord give a tennant before they want them out of the house?. Considering no misconduct and good tennants. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭sh_o

It depends on how long you have been there - take a look at oasis.gov.ie/housing/renting_a_flat_or_house/if_your_landlord_wants_you_to_leave
    Which provides a summary of the notice perods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Babybing wrote:
    Simple question(I think:) ). Legally how much notice must a landlord give a tennant before they want them out of the house?. Considering no misconduct and good tennants. Thanks.
    Table 1 of s. 66 of the Residential Tennancies Act 2004
    http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/acts/2004/a2704.pdf (page 50 of the pdf)

28 days if there for less then 6 months
    35 days for between 6 months and a year

and so on. The act provides the exact procedure for termination. It doesn't apply to s. 50 student accomodation, and there are other exceptions. Your lease could provide a longer notice period which you could avail of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Libero

gabhain7 wrote:
    Table 1 of s. 66 of the Residential Tennancies Act 2004
    http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/acts/2004/a2704.pdf (page 50 of the pdf)

28 days if there for less then 6 months
    35 days for between 6 months and a year

and so on. The act provides the exact procedure for termination. It doesn't apply to s. 50 student accomodation, and there are other exceptions. Your lease could provide a longer notice period which you could avail of.
    Remember though that Part 4 of the Residential Tenancies Act, 2004 may be in effect, i.e. 'a Part 4 tenancy'.

While there are exclusions (e.g. living in same property as landlord) it basically gives security of tenure to those renting for over 6 months. The tenant can only then be removed for a certain number of reasons during the next 3 and a half years (e.g. not paying rent, anti-social behaviour).

There's more info here

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've noticed that 4 years is commonly mentioned. Do your tenancy rights change after 4 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,343 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They essentially re-start after 4 years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement