Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tuning....

Options
  • 27-06-2006 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

as always it seems, my cars went by the wayside for a while, but over the last few days iv spent a couple of hours on my truck to try get it in p.w.o. (again!!) the first problem is teh pullstart, as one of the holes for the screws broke (thank u rotostart)! the pullstart has a habit of shaking the one screw holding it in...out, thats problem no. 1, possibly sorted but time will tell.

next was the engine alignment, it wasnt perfect (not too close in not too far out) from the spur gear, so i did that and hopefully it will hold. that ones hopefully sorted too!! :D

also, the tuning, she's running quite rich, i've tried to tune her leaner a few times, but am v. afraid of wrecking it and tend to settle for a comfortable setting, but now i want it proper, i've the idle fine, but when the engine has been running it tends to heat up quite fast, and recently i'vve noticed it hasnt been hitting scond gear (as far as i can hear) are ethese two problems linked? is there something i should be looking out for? then, when im tuning, to up the top speed, should she be at full throttle wen i lean it, so i can hear the change?? or do you tuneit wen its idling?r--does it make a difference?

thanks a million, my buggy, as aways is running sweetly(even tho im missing a part/in need of a part) the engine in it has always been perfect an she's a lil ripper on 10%!!!

nlc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

as always it seems, my cars went by the wayside for a while, but over the last few days iv spent a couple of hours on my truck to try get it in p.w.o. (again!!) the first problem is teh pullstart, as one of the holes for the screws broke (thank u rotostart)! the pullstart has a habit of shaking the one screw holding it in...out, thats problem no. 1, possibly sorted but time will tell.

Try get another screw or 2 and use blue thread lock.
    next was the engine alignment, it wasnt perfect (not too close in not too far out) from the spur gear, so i did that and hopefully it will hold. that ones hopefully sorted too!! :D

Best thing is losing the 4 screws at the engine mount and place a peice of paper between the spur and clutch gear, then squeeze them together, tighten the screws and take out the paper.
    also, the tuning, she's running quite rich, i've tried to tune her leaner a few times, but am v. afraid of wrecking it and tend to settle for a comfortable setting, but now i want it proper, i've the idle fine, but when the engine has been running it tends to heat up quite fast, and recently i'vve noticed it hasnt been hitting scond gear (as far as i can hear) are ethese two problems linked? is there something i should be looking out for? then, when im tuning, to up the top speed, should she be at full throttle wen i lean it, so i can hear the change?? or do you tuneit wen its idling?r--does it make a difference?

Run the engine first for about 2 minutes then lean the high speed a 1/4 turn. The idle speed will get high just turn the idle screw down. Finally you might want to lean the low speed a small bit.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

cheers man, went down to give it a shot...but all my batts are well dead!! tomorrow it is!!

also, @coolwings, would you know of this part http://www.excelhobby.com/excel_hobby_027.htm its#11413,

cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

What model we talking about here clover?
    on the savage the second gear is adjustable

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Looks like parts off the Stormracer lookalike to me.
    The wheel hub & steering arm is a breakable in a kerb impact.
    Have you been driving into concrete lately? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

lol that part looks too familyer in packaging on the shop counter :P yes i crashed and needed one:p

Imagine how the poor car feels:

OMG .... here he comes again ... NO .... not again and me with my nice new knuckle joints .... he's picking up the radio .... not that ....... mind where you're going ........ look out for the kerb ........ nooooooooooooooooo !

lol, maybe scientists will learn how to that, there workin on getting computers too fell emotion :P happy 1000th post ;)

Flunked wrote:
    lol, maybe scientists will learn how to that, there workin on getting computers too fell emotion :P happy 1000th post ;)
    Yes - so it is 1000. Cool! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

coolwings wrote:
    Imagine how the poor car feels:

OMG .... here he comes again ... NO .... not again and me with my nice new knuckle joints .... he's picking up the radio .... not that ....... mind where you're going ........ look out for the kerb ........ nooooooooooooooooo !

:D:D

1,000 posts...!!!:eek:

Gotta get posting to catchup.. :D

• Advertisement

ya, but i bet i can get there before you :eek:
    Lets have a bet, I can have your finished project revo if you I get tehre before you and if you do it before me, you can keep it :D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Flunked wrote:
    ya, but i bet i can get there before you :eek:
    Lets have a bet, I can have your finished project revo if you I get tehre before you and if you do it before me, you can keep it :D :rolleyes:

Or
    How about.
    Heads I win .. Tails you lose..!! :D

ah yeah I would but, I wuold probably loose :P the aerodynamics of a coin usualy mean heads comes up more often ;-):D

:)

hah yeh coolwings, i did, i admit, smash bang kerbtacular, can u get aluminium ones of those? might be an idea...!! @tallus, yeh its the 25 so they are adjustable, just wen it comes to the engine im quite stand offish!! is it easy to adjust it?

i cant actually remember wen i broke it tbh...i just no last time i brought it out..teh wheel as at a very odd angle!! how much are we lookin at??

Flunked wrote:
    ah yeah I would but, I wuold probably loose :P the aerodynamics of a coin usualy mean heads comes up more often ;-):D

how could theey say that if all coins are different!! ;) :rolleyes:

:)

hah yeh coolwings, i did, i admit, smash bang kerbtacular, can u get aluminium ones of those? might be an idea...!! @tallus, yeh its the 25 so they are adjustable, just wen it comes to the engine im quite stand offish!! is it easy to adjust it?

i cant actually remember wen i broke it tbh...i just no last time i brought it out..teh wheel as at a very odd angle!! how much are we lookin at??
    It's simple to adjust man if you look at the dvd that came with the car it shows in detail how to adjust the settings. You don't have to do anything to the engine to change it, the adjustment area is on the side of the gearbox.
    Check out the video, I found it to be a big help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

I know the feeling of breaking the car on the dreaded kerb. I broke the front shock tower on my HPI RS4 about 4 times. so i decided to upgrade to a graphite one as apposed to the plastic one. ive graphite swing arms ordered to match. I've also just noticed that ive a bent dog bone after i crashed into my friends car that pulled accross me when i was flat out.

Smacked mine in to a kerb too a while back Spitfire, 'cause I never set up my brakes properly. She's fine now tho heh bought loads of spare suspension bits :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

mine went out of sight and crashed head on with the tyre of a parked car and because the tyre is rounded, the bumper of the r/c car done ****e all to take the bump as the higher part of the tyre hit the shock tower and broke the mounts off the top. if i dont get a truck, i might get a new engine for it and a sports exhaust. Halfords are sellin the hpi rush evo for €300.

haha, wen i bought my truck, i was asking bout damage done to it (2nd hand) and he goes, " i once crashed it into a sapling....it broke it.......the sapling broke* that is!! @tallus, will od, and hopefully give it a shot asap.!

• Advertisement

I think tallus hit a tree with his savage, the tree came out with the worst of it:D

Aye true the tree came off worse :)

OK I am taking his prolems out of vectras thread, NLC sent me a video of his car running, I dont see anything wrong with it (havnt seen it on the gorund tho, he says the problem shows there, so i uplaoded it for all yas too see:)
    http://jebus.phish-host.net/DSCF0337.AVI
    Streaming link:
    http://jebus.phish-host.net/nlcvid1.html
    that should work, if it doesnt tell me, and download it :P

Flunked wrote:
    OK I am taking his prolems out of vectras thread, NLC sent me a video of his car running, I dont see anything wrong with it (havnt seen it on the gorund tho, he says the problem shows there, so i uplaoded it for all yas too see:)
    http://jebus.phish-host.net/DSCF0337.AVI
    Streaming link:
    http://jebus.phish-host.net/nlcvid1.html
    that should work, if it doesnt tell me, and download it :P
    Ok sounds nice, there's still a bit left top end there if he wants it:)

wat u mean left top end? yeh you hear the revs? when on the ground its producing same revs, with no speed, btw, does it hit 2nd in that???

Ok I meant you could adjust the high end needle a tiny bit more but there's no real need to.
    The second gear change is easy enough to adjust and the HPI dvd/video that comes with the car can explain it a lot better than I can. It's worth a look alright.

yeh but if i can get you the vid of wen its on teh ground its not nearly as good!! thanks flunked btw!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Jack0106

Hey guys, hope i found the right place to put this but i have a question. I have a 2001 mk4 golf (1.4) but it seems to be lacking a bit of power when it goes past 2500 rpm. I dont really mind when driving around my area, but when on the motorway it seems like some of those horses have turned to ponies. I know the car has only 75 bhp but come on.
    Is there anything i can do besides buying performance parts? or is there any problems that could be there?

Any advice will be appreciated - Thanks

Hi Jack
    You might want to post this in the motoring Forum.
    This is models and our engines are a bit smaller!

• Advertisement
Advertisement