Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Atheists hated more than Gays and Muslims

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well, I'd feel all outraged about this I'm sure but I don't really like religious people so... I suppose it works out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Indeed!

Why waste ur time believin in God?

SEX AND BOOZE ALL THE FREAKIN WAY! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The fact that these people actually 'hate' certain minorities more than others means I'm not too upset.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054908087

Nothing new there.
    Look at poor Robindch - compromising himself to get into Saudi... ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's true, I hate Atheists more than any other minority that I hate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

I'm not a racist, I hate all races and religions equally.
    (Half remembered from something??)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

On a similar note, Full Metal Jacket:
    There is no racial bigotry here. I do not look down on ****, kikes, wops or greasers. Here you are all equally worthless. And my orders are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps. Do you maggots understand that?

Edit: weird, i thought the n-word was filtered out here. Guess not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Yes, many Americans have a thing against Secular Humanists as well. Although, look on the bright side it's harder to identify someone as an Atheist rather than gay or Muslim. Generally that is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it was stephen.. I remember typing sniggers and having it come up s******* years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

Stephen wrote:
    Edit: weird, i thought the n-word was filtered out here. Guess not.

Maybe its because its a quote?

Back to topic, I don't really mind that Catholic Americans hate me, I'm not to fond of them either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭the real ramon

I've always thought that you hate people or opinions you don't understand.

I don't understand why anyone can believe what fundamentalists believe hence I hate 'em. I doesn't surprise me then that the USA being such a believing land that Atheists are the most hated group there.

Ya can't please everyone:D

Cordially,
    ramon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

who hates themselves more :)

gays, muslims, athiest or catholics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I would say Muslims with them killing each other because of this so called jihad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I'm not selective, I just hate everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Chakar wrote:
    I would say Muslims with them killing each other because of this so called jihad.

:rolleyes: @ chakar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

Do gay atheists get extra hate points?

I hate other gays who steal fellas from me!!! :D Oh, actually many both gays and straights see bisexuals as greedy and indecisive - they always get a hard time! :(

Odhran, one wouldn't like to be a gay atheist in America. Although, the majority of my fellow gays are atheists as many dislike how religions oppress us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

abetarrush wrote:
    http://atheism.about.com/b/a/255008.htm

Aparently in the USA, Atheist are the top hated minority group

Excellent. Who wants to be liked by some bible-belt nutjob anyway. The phrase 'they hate us because we're free' has finally found it's real home.

aidan24326 wrote:
    The phrase 'they hate us because we're free' has finally found it's real home.
    I'll have you know I don't come cheap...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I'll have you know I don't come cheap...

Nor me neither! But somewhat apt all the same. I just wonder why atheists would be seen as such a threat as to be public enemy number 1 in the US. I think the religious right in America are scared of atheists. I often find that alot of very religious types don't really like debating with us non-believers, we just ask too many questions to which they have no answers, though some will try to skirt round the issue with a few bible quotes which rarely answer anything. I feel some of them (religious churchgoing types) know deep down that what they believe is probably a load of baloney but choose to believe it anyway because it's easier and more comforting than facing up to reality and asking the tough questions. So do they feel threatened by those of us who have shaken off the shackles and embraced the world as it is, for good or bad? Those of us who choose to deal in reality rather than delude ourselves with fanciful notions? I think so. Reality is obviously a good deal too scary for alot of people, and it's clearly easier to just hate the non-believers when engaging them in any real debate is so uncomfortable and faith is your only hiding place. And hating is something that religious fundamentalists tend to do rather well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> I just wonder why atheists would be seen as such a threat as to
    > be public enemy number 1 in the US.

Sam Harris suggests that it's because of what's believed to be at stake for your offspring. If your kid becomes an atheist and thereby denies him/herself life after death, then isn't that much the same as having your kid killed? How many atheists have been invited to manage schools, or even speak at them, compared to religious invitations?

Anyhow, my own belief is that it's this fear of the religiously fatal consequences of atheism, mixed together with a generalized fear or hatred of people who reject, or don't take part in, hierarchical or status-based systems (such as religion, politics and the military) in which the status-obsession is derived from humanity's past as groups of status-obsessed primates. You hate what you don't understand.

...or as my granddad let slip by mistake one day, when asked if he liked Russians, replied "I've never had a cause to like them". Yuk.

my $.02

Good points, all, and no doubt true in many cases.

My impression this morning of why atheists are hated [feared] is more black and white.

Your stereotypical God-fearing Christian watches the news and sees murders, rapes, theft - plenty of biblical sins, if you like. They think: a person who believes in and fears God wouldn't do those things. Ergo, they must be atheist. Ergo, atheists are bad (and possibly gay, to boot).

The question is why those right wing fundamentalist Christian types hate atheists (and gays and Muslims). They could argue to their "Apocolypse" that the bible states this and that, etc. but the real truth isn't that. They use the Bible and their religion as a cover-up, a shield to mask their own reality. They abuse their religion just like many alcoholics abuse alcohol. They use their religion to feed their hatred. It's nothing spiritual guys, it's plain and simple, their ego. They have a false security due to the threat of their ego by people who challenge them. And I've met religious nuts like them before and in reality, they just like hating people, to give their ego a sense of identity, power.

Actually here's a good article I found in GCN which the Irish gay magazine by the editor. At first, I thought maybe the article was irrelevant on an atheist forum but it could easily be applied to any hated group which religion condemns. It's about the folly of religions on how they treat gays in especially Eastern European countries. Anyone else who has found any good articles that my be relevant, please feel free to post.
    On Sunday June 11, as I was scanning the papers for news about whether the Warsaw Gay Pride march was violently attacked or not after an Polish Catholic MP called for people to bring nightsticks to beat homosexuals, I cam across an article about the Dutch Ambassador to Estonia, Hans Glaubitz, who has resigned his post because of homophobic abuse on the streets of Tallinn. A couple of weeks previously I read acres of reportage about Orthodox priests urging Nazi skinheads to throw missiles at participants in Moscow Gay Pride.

As we get ready to celebrate a publicly endorsed and widely accepted Gay Pride in Dublin, it should be remembered that, as aw parade through the streets, a man who was beaten across the back with a beer keg after exiting a gay bar in the city lies critically ill in hospital. We should also remember that many people acroos the world are in prison for being gay, are tortured for being gay, and are being denied by their families, society and the law for being gay.

What is homophobia? The dictionary describes it as: a hatred, disapproval or fear ogf homosexuality, gay and lesbian people, and their culture. While this is an adequate description, it still doesn't do it for me.

Homophobia may have existed for centuries and it may go deep, but frankly, I don't get it. I am a homosexual man who lives a pretty ordinary life. I contribute to society much in the same way as my straight friends contribute and I try to act in goodwill towards my fellow man. In that way, I'm like every other gay man or lesbian i nkow. So, why would someone hate me so much? What possible harm, for instance, is my stable, unassuming relationship doing to the Catholic Church, who are at the heart of much homophobic rhetoric expressed in Poland and elsewhere?

The day before Gay Pride in Warsaw, a little Palestinian girl came back from a swim on Gaza beach to find her father and three of her siblings bombed to death, their bloody limbs lying all over the family's picnic rug. A reported 1,000 men, women and children are being killed every day in Iraq. and in this vicious political climate, the Vatican and their religious likes are forcing issues that encourage people to hate ordinary men and women like you and I because one happens to be gay?

It's all so confusing. I can't understand why any organisation or instituation would be so wilfully stupid; why do they vilify me as the rot in society while they stand by wordlessly as society implodes, mostly because of religious extremes?

Maybe that's exactly what's going on. the diversion of blame. If the ills of the world are blamed on homosexuals, then the religious instituations remain free of responsibility for the polarisation of peoples.

The Pope should be on his balcony crying tears of sorrow, outrage and shame for what happened to that little girl, and to all the men, women and children mercilessly killed in the name of religion, instead of encouraging Europeans to discriminate against mostly harmless homosexuals, and helping to whip up a violent anti-gay storm.
    Did you know that although Atheists are a large hated group in parts of America, in many Middle Eastern countries, one can actually be killed for being atheist, actually non-Muslim. In the Qur'an, it says that if one doesn't convert to Islam, he/she is to be killed. I'd spend little time worrying about how Atheists are hated in America, and more time worrying about those who are killed under the name of religion because they refuse to be forced to abide by somebody else's beliefs. The science vs religion is probably to closest one will get to the heated debate between secularists and religions.

UU wrote:
    Anyone else who has found any good articles that my be relevant, please feel free to post.
    In case you missed it (as posted previously by robindch on a thread in the Christianity forum) - the picture says it all...

Clerics Fighting a Gay Festival for Jerusalem

gay.xlaerge1.jpg

Full story here.

Oh yes. I saw that. They're protesting about World Pride in Jerusalem. Dodgy place to have it my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

This video was probably posted up before, but I didn't see it here.

I found it moderately interesting, but did not leave me with the tear stained face that some reported. But it did leave me with some sense of all these different people with different talents facing reality.

For whatever reason, of all the personalities shown, the revelation that Bruce Lee was an Atheist probably touched me the most. I really don't know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Who cares what Americans think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

In case you missed it (as posted previously by robindch on a thread in the Christianity forum) - the picture says it all...

Clerics Fighting a Gay Festival for Jerusalem

gay.xlaerge1.jpg

Full story here.

Yes, a load of men in dresses and funny hats fighting a gay pride march:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

H&#250 wrote: »
    Who cares what Americans think.

The stockmarket.

Advertisement