Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Boston

Options
  • 27-06-2006 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

I'm going to boston for 10 days in august with a couple of friends i was just wondering of any suggestions??i'm only 19 so i wont be able to go to pubs over there so im just really lookin for things we should go see while we're there and what the shopping is like there!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dubambman

I spent two weeks there last august and im going again for another 2 weeks in september this year.
    You'd want to like sightseeing and history if you're too young to get into the pubs because the place is amazingly strict, much worse than anywhere else in the states.

Things to Do:
    1. JFK Museum
    2. Fenway Park tour
    3. The prudential skyscraper
    4. The Aquarium
    5. Harvard
    6. Trip to Wrentham Outlet mall (1 hour by taxi for 20 dollars)
    7. Visit Cheers Bar
    8. Freedom Trial
    9. Visit USS Constitution and Bunker Hill
    10. Quincy Market
    11. Duck Tour (Amphibious vehicle trip up the charles river)

That should get you started, you can get into some clubs if you're over 18, but you have to have an ink stamp to drink, a god place is gillians on the southside of boston that has lots of pool tables and a bowling alley upstairs. A big part of boston is restaurants and eating so its not too bad being underage over there.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭cerebis

yep I agree Boston is very strict on under age drinkers.....luckily when I was there I was 22....tis a decent enough place to go!

Boston commons is a nice park, not as big as central park in NYC, but nice all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

cerebis wrote:
    yep I agree Boston is very strict on under age drinkers..

It sure is. I was over there a couple of weeks ago and they only accept passports or american drivers licenses. My mate forgot his one night, so no beer for either of us. And he's over 30!

The food there is fantastic, the best I've had in America. Watch out for the change from lunch to dinner menu - the price can triple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

I was in Boston on a J1 at 19 and didn't find them strict on ID at all. I used a friends when I was asked and didn't have any problems - we had the same colour hair and that was about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

First thing you should do is buy a bus/plane ticket for NY and leave asap!! haha only kidding.

Baseball game at wrigley field is a must!

Landsdowne st beside wrigley is where all the clubs are. you will be stamped on way in and if ur under 21 etc u cant drink. just get hammered b4 u go in!!

Faneuil hall---good foodcourt and cheers bar beside it so worth a visit

duck tour is class!!

Shooping in filenes basement(gr8 bargains)

Perving in boston common:rolleyes:

swimming in boston common

If you have a day/two to spare go to newport/rhode island. only 2hr bus trip and buzzing beach town!! plenty of irish students there for summer and you should get served handy enough!!

Have fun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭smallpaws

If you can manage it and are into it, the town of Salem is handy and is full of cool and interesting museums, tours, etc regarding the witch trials. The people watching alone is pretty enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Go to the Top of the Hub restaurant in the Prudential Tower, it's on the 52nd floor and the views out of it are amazing. The food is grand without being great but it's good value, three courses for between $19 and $22. I'd book in advance though, there are strict security arrangements in place there following 9-11. Depending on when you get there there may be a Boston Celtics basketball game on, I'd go to that. Tickets are priced from $10 but you need to get the $20 ones at least - otherwise the view isn't great. Even with the $20 ones you're up fairly high. they serve beer during the games too.
    You'll probably be there during restaurant week so take advantage of it:
    http://www.bostonusa.com/RW06/indexRW06.htm
    Also check this out: http://www.bostonusa.com/images/admin/logos/August2006.htm

Advertisement