Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Ticket - Irish car with UK driver

Options
  • 27-06-2006 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what happens if I get a speeding ticket but my girlfriend who lives in the UK and has a UK licence was driving my car at the time (yes, she is insured on my car - just in case the moral police try to drag it off topic again!). Will I avoid the penalty points?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just wondering what happens if I get a speeding ticket but my girlfriend who lives in the UK and has a UK licence was driving my car at the time (yes, she is insured on my car - just in case the moral police try to drag it off topic again!). Will I avoid the penalty points?

Yes if you nominate her as the driver and she is willing to. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

as far as i no the registered owner gets them as the owner is still responsible for the vehical now i am open to correction but thats wat i was told before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Yes if you nominate her as the driver and she is willing to. :)

wishbone is correct, you can blame her.. but if she ever gets an irish licence the points will be waiting for her...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

babybundy wrote:
    as far as i no the registered owner gets them as the owner is still responsible for the vehical now i am open to correction but thats wat i was told before

Yes, but the registered owner can nominate the 'driver' on the day, eg if you were driving a partner's car or if it was a company car, it would be registered to a business.

This obviously does not apply if stopped by a Garda in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

jhegarty wrote:
    but if she ever gets an irish licence the points will be waiting for her...
    If they ever manage to find the back of the envelope they wrote them down on at the time and actually make the connection when/if she ever applies for an Irish licence, that is. I'll believe it when I see it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Alun wrote:
    If they ever manage to find the back of the envelope they wrote them down on at the time and actually make the connection when/if she ever applies for an Irish licence, that is. I'll believe it when I see it :)

they have a computer and a copy of excel 95 now....

Advertisement