Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup

Options
  • 26-06-2006 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭

The match has gone to extra time , not looking good about getting an epsoide tonight....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

T.V. listings say 10.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

And tis deffo an ep not to be missed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Nooooooo I have to be up at 5.30 damnit! :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ooh cryptic, pitty we have to sit through this **** excuse for a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Ooh cryptic, pitty we have to sit through this **** excuse for a match.

LMAO yes!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ah, but will they take a big break for the news at 11 in the middle of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

You'd think they'd update the teletext. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Yeah, it doesn't matter if you have to be up at 3am, you just have to see this episode.

[gay voice] It's just fabulous [/gay voice]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

Im with the rest of the US watchers. You cannot miss this episode, even if its on at 2am, you cannot miss this.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭PonderStibbons

Are they still going to show those idiots rabbiting on for half an hour now? I can sort of understand them showing the match, but surely they'll cut out the chatter afterwards. It's Lost, for God's sakes!!! And a good one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

The moment it starts somebody say who is in front of a tv. i cant be bothered sitting through that match analysis where they just dont care one bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The moment it starts somebody say who is in front of a tv. i cant be bothered sitting through that match analysis where they just dont care one bit!
    there's ad's on rte two now, so i can't be far off (ie two minutes)

starting now.

Its on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Jaysus!:eek:

Told ye it was worth watching

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Absolutly enfuriated by RTE's coverage of that game. Fair enough they showed it in its entirety, but the analysis of the rest of the days events was a step over the mark. And dont get me started on that absolute piss imitation of fr ted, id have put my boot through the tv if lost wasnt on straight after it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

On a slightly related note , does anyone think Italy striker Alberto Gilardino looks a bit like Sawyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MeTV

RTÉ really pissed me off last night. First of all they pull Scrubs for this soccer muck and bump Lost back 15 minutes. Now they stay with the overrun of a match Lost fans couldn't care less about and then subject us to 3 fools discussing what a crap match it was followed by some sort of "parody" of Father Ted that is in no way funny at all! And, at no stage during all this garbage do they update us on the new start time for Lost no even apologise for the overrun.

In case you can't guess from that little rant I hate soccer with a passion, can't stand it. But I understand and accept that others want to watch it and that it's a ratings getter for RTÉ but when they allow it to interrupt the viewing of loyal viewers who tune in week in, week out to feed their addiction to a TV show, it just shows a complete disrespect for those viewers. If I wasn't so hooked on this show, I'd be ditching RTÉ right now and picking up my viewing on E4 when they catch up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

The thing is though the world cup is big big event for rte (their rating prove this) but i agree they could have moved the matchs over to another channel or switched progs around but hey be happy theres another 4 more years till the next big disruption (unless ya count ryder cup, olympics, euro 2008 etc) :D

• Advertisement

The overrun was one thing - that pissed me off enough - but to not even have the common decency to apologise and inform the masses that tuned in at quarter past 10 of the new start time for Lost was absolutely unforgivable. Instead we had to sit through 3 quarters of an hour of mindless drivel waiting and waiting and waiting, when we could have been doing something better with our time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭AliasFan47

I agree completely with everyones opinion that RTE messed up big time. Would it have been so hard to have info come up at the bottom of the screen to inform viewers or even an announcer. It didn't start until 11PM people would have said "I can't be bothered to stay up" and they would have just gone to bed.

Last nights episode was pivitol in for the rest of the season I'm guessing and how many people would have missed out.

Last nights episode should have silenced critics that "nothing ever happens in Lost."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭samo

I swear to god, if there was a number that I could have rang last night to have RTE and rant pure venom at them over the scheduling of Lost I would have done so!

The waffling of the commentators over what was a crappy match anyway and then the crappy father ted FAI thing was a real test of character.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

For god sake, its the World Cup, it's on once every four years for four weeks and your complaining about it ruining your tv schedule. RTE has every right to place the World Cup ahead af LOST as it will always receive the most demand and viewing ratings...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Yeah over-reaction.
    I hate football too, but they can't just move the football match + analysis onto another channel and ruin somebody elese's favourite programme.
    And as far as I know, this is the first time this has happened, so lay off RTE. You should be happy they're showing Lost at all! :p

You both seem to be missing the point here; yeah, I hate soccer (don't know about the others who've been monaing about it), yes the overrun pissed us off but the main problem on Monday night is that RTÉ weren't even arsed to tell us when the programme we'd tuned in to see would be starting meaning we had to sit through 45 minutes of the most mind-numbingly, boring television I've been subjected to in a long, long time.

I'll take your point that they couldn't move the rest of the match to RTÉ1 (although, there are dedicated sports channels that this sort of thing should be aired on in the 1st place! But that's for another rant ;)) but there was no need for a further 15 minutes of 3 tossers spouting on about what a crap match it was, a recap of some other match they'd shown earlier and that bloody stupid Father Ted thing.

When this world cup nonsense is over, the people who've tuned in to watch it in their droves every evening are going to be going back to whatever they usually do with those evenings and RTÉ are going to be relying on those of us who tuned in regularly before it all started to get them their ratings and keep their advertisers happy - those self same people they showed a complete lack of respect for on Monday night.

Oh, and telling me I should be happy that they're showing Lost at all is the stupidest thing I've heard all day! Although it is only 1030 and I haven't been talking to marketing yet today!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I take your point about not being informed of when Lost is going to start. There should of been some sort of announcement. If there is 1 thing I could defend them with, it's that its hard to know when the match will end, there might not of been any penos at all, and an estimate would of been hard to make.

Just a few points about people moaning that they miss Home and Away. How selfish are you? The World Cup happens every 4 years for 1 month. Home and Away is on 5 times a week, most weeks. I haven't got a calculator on me at the moment but that's an awful lot of episodes between each World Cup.

As for the football not been put on a sports channel, there is a few reasons why this is. Obviously the ratings are big, but there is a reason why the government want big sporting events like the World Cup on the main channels. For one thing it gets kids playing football today, which helps the health problems that is causing quite a problem in todays world. How is Alf Stewart shouting "flaming mongrel" a help to anyone?

The likes of Sky Sports etc are not available to everyone whilst RTE is available to nearly everyone. A fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Baby4 wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Luckily I can get my H&A fix at work, but I agree that for the duration of the WC - and the important plot points which are running now - H&A should've moved to RTE One at 6:30 or 7pm. Not least because the ratings are among their highest ever for the show now - consistently in the top 10, and touching 250,000 on a regular basis, and it even got a sponsor) so it makes no sense to disrupt it so badly. It's not like there wasn't a slot free on RTE Two - there were regular Simpsons repeats during that first week.

As for Lost, it's good they showed it after all on Monday (a strap across the bottom of the screen to inform viewers 'Lost will be airing tonight at 11pm - stay tuned' might have been useful to those wondering.) However, since it was so late, many fans may well not have stayed up and so next week's going to be an even bigger shock! The Sunday night 00:35 repeat won't help those starting work Monday morning catch up either!

Why-oh-why-oh-why is there a Simpsons double on Saturday evening (6.25-7.25pm) when this crucial episode could be repeated? If the content is too severe for the timeslot, I'm sure some of it could be mildly cut without destroying the episode (though I would still be against that.) If 6.25 is too early, why not 10.30pm on Saturday with promos to advertise it? Or why not use the Friends repeat at 9pm Sunday and put Lost in there?

More RTE insanity - their treatment of imports beggars belief sometimes. No wonder so many people buy DVDs or otherwise to enjoy US television these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Niall M

get over it, all they would have been able to say was that lost would follow this programme, that would have been really helpful.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

MeTV wrote:
    but there was no need for a further 15 minutes of 3 tossers spouting on about what a crap match it was, a recap of some other match they'd shown earlier and that bloody stupid Father Ted thing.

Well said. Keeping the Fr Ted thing really was a stupid move. And you're spot on about the non-sports fans keeping the ratings up outside the big events. Maybe they'll think twice before using RTE as the home of their favourite series or new series from now on. (I know several people, including myself, who refuse to watch many series on Sky One - due to editing - and won't watch stuff on Channel 4 due to its scheduling series in the wrong order. Without A Trace is probably their worst offender, but there have been others.
    Unearthly wrote:
    Just a few points about people moaning that they miss Home and Away. How selfish are you? The World Cup happens every 4 years for 1 month. Home and Away is on 5 times a week, most weeks. I haven't got a calculator on me at the moment but that's an awful lot of episodes between each World Cup.

I completely agree H&A is not nearly as important in the grand scheme of things. However, why show The Simpsons (endlessly repeated) during that first week when there was a slot free between matches?! THAT is what was insane. Likewise, they could have done something for RTE One there. It's not like the BBC who have ditched Neighbours for the duration of Wimbledon - that way neither afternoon or teatime audience miss out. RTE clearly decided the evening viewers of one of their most popular programmes didn't matter and kept going anyway. That is the kind of treatment that makes RTE a poor channel for Irish audiences.

Advertisement