Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best place to sell second hand executive cars

Options
  • 26-06-2006 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Looking to sell an 05' BMW 520i.

Where is the best place to advertise these - Not much luck on autotrader or cbg. Any recomendations on where to advertise for more premium/expensive cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The problem is that most people in the market for your car would rather buy from a main dealer and do a hire purchase. your car needs to be realistically priced for it to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

I know it needs to be keenly priced and it is. At this stage I'm resigning myself to a dealer buyback, but if I do someone is missing out on a good deal.

Just figuring out where to get the exposure?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

u wont get any more exposure than on carzone.ie, no onw looks at the autotrader any more.

I reckon Carzone and CBG are your best options.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mayshine wrote:
    Looking to sell an 05' BMW 520i.

Where is the best place to advertise these - Not much luck on autotrader or cbg. Any recomendations on where to advertise for more premium/expensive cars?

To be honest not too many people out there looking to spend €40k - €45k on a BMW will be looking at autotrader or cbg. Most who are forking out this kind of money will be going to a dealer.

Your best bet is to take some very good photos of it and advertise it on carzone but you will need to price it very aggresively to move it.

Another alternative is to try and sell it at an auction house but again after the auction's commission you may not make anymore than selling it to a dealer.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Offer it on ebay and pray for a bidding war.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

P.M. me with details, if the price is right I'll buy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,230 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Instead of going to carzone.ie directly, go to driving.ie, a site owned by the Sunday Times. It is powered by carzone.ie. Your car will be on carzone.it but it will also be included in the weekly motoring supplement of the Sunday Times for 3 weeks running

I'd advertise it in the Irish Times too
    Mayshine wrote:
    At this stage I'm resigning myself to a dealer buyback

That's worse than being buggered. Please avoid!

If you don't mind me asking: How come you're left with a fairly high value car? How come you did not trade it in, or sold it before you bought your new car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I've a load of stuff on CBG.ie and Carzone at the moment and the only calls I'm getting are from w***ers in the U.K. trying to get me to advertise with them or total wasters who have no intention of buying anything. In fact I'd go so far as to say that the callers might be tied to the sites themselves and are trying to give the impression that they are customers.:mad:

Must say carzone's been good to me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Cheers guys,

I'll give it a shot on driving.ie and carzone and see what happens.

Unkel - Its actully my fathers car. I'm doing the leg work for him. He got an offer he could not refuse on another car (with no potential of trade in) hence the need to sell this one privately.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Mayshine wrote:
    Cheers guys,

I'll give it a shot on driving.ie and carzone and see what happens.

Unkel - Its actully my fathers car. I'm doing the leg work for him. He got an offer he could not refuse on another car (with no potential of trade in) hence the need to sell this one privately.

Get a picture(s) and put it in the paper as a "Car of the week".

Costs more but is well worthwhile.

Punters are 8 times more likely to respond to a apicture ad. apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Get a picture(s) and put it in the paper as a "Car of the week".

Costs more but is well worthwhile.

Punters are 8 times more likely to respond to a apicture ad. apparently.

Definately, two reasons why I wouldnt even bother to view the car :-

1) no picture - why not in this day and age - is the seller lazy or trying to hide something and

2) no asking price - shark imho

Sold my last car and motorbike on carzone.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

colm_mcm wrote:
    Must say carzone's been good to me!
    Colm, slightly off topic since your in the trade whats the state of the 2nd hand car market at the moment? Has the SSIA money made any difference? Is it easy to sell on second hand cars or is the market flooded with second hand cars no one wants because everyone is buying new?
    Thanks.
    Apologies to thread starter for hijack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

unkel wrote:
    Instead of going to carzone.ie directly, go to driving.ie, a site owned by the Sunday Times. It is powered by carzone.ie. Your car will be on carzone.it but it will also be included in the weekly motoring supplement of the Sunday Times for 3 weeks running

I'd advertise it in the Irish Times too

That's worse than being buggered. Please avoid!

If you don't mind me asking: How come you're left with a fairly high value car? How come you did not trade it in, or sold it before you bought your new car?

Or you could stick with carzone.ie and select the sunday times option when paying and get the same deal!

Advertisement