Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Poker Client Encryption & Security

Options
  • 26-06-2006 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

For online poker players, trust and security are primary concerns. Knowing that someone cannot easily learn your poker-room password and take your money is important - and let's face it - it helps us sleep at night.

Also of paramount concern is the knowledge that the poker rooms which you play on take steps to prevent your data from being intercepted by third parties (their software developers should maintain professional standards and consider ethics and security in their work as a matter of routine )

Poker companies are happy to tout their SSL and RSA encryption, but how secure is your data REALLY?

Security experts have long acknowledged that you are only as secure as the weakest point in your defenses. You might have bulletproof glass on windows, and walls of steel six inches thick... If you leave the back-door unlocked you are in a vulnerable position nevertheless. That is the case for many of the poker clients in use today. ..

Poor Poker Client security - Read The Full Article

Thoughts?
    Poor show all around if you ask me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I just went through mine. I've got

Party Poker
    Pokerstars
    All-In
    Paddy Power
    Victor Chandler
    World Poker Ex.
    Vegas Baby.....

No Passwords found in registery.
    Thoughts?
    I think your pimping your site!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭gamblingIRE

Scotty # wrote:
    I just went through mine. I've got

Party Poker
    Pokerstars
    All-In
    Paddy Power
    Victor Chandler
    World Poker Ex.
    Vegas Baby.....

No Passwords found in registery.!
    Superb :)
    Scotty # wrote:
    I think your pimping your site!!

It pimps itself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

nonsense talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

ntlbell wrote:
    nonsense talk.
    Is it??

Ste05 wrote:
    Is it??

I was talking to Scotty_#

I have all his passwords.

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote:
    I was talking to Scotty_#

I have all his passwords.
    LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Just found my password in the registry for some site I never played on - "Crazy Dice poker"

Uninstalled quick smart!

MadsL wrote:
    Just found my password in the registry for some site I never played on - "Crazy Dice poker"

Uninstalled quick smart!
    I just found the same thing in my registry, BTW: Club Dice Poker = CD Poker...

The password doesn't look the same as my real one, but just to be safe, I've uninstalled it too...

EDIT: A Question for any techies here, I can see my FT Username and password too but it says Reg_Binary in the "Type" column and in the "Data" Column it looks to be random numbers (but what do I know!), is it possible for a hacker/trojan etc. to view this and convert it back into my Password?? Apologies if this is a stupid question, just wondering??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

How do I look at the system registry?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

start - run
    type "regedit"

(look - dont touch!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

Nice one.

Had a look there and the password is displayed for my Pacific play money account. That's the only one where I have the password remembered, is that why it's in the registry?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Ste05 wrote:
    EDIT: A Question for any techies here, I can see my FT Username and password too but it says Reg_Binary in the "Type" column and in the "Data" Column it looks to be random numbers (but what do I know!), is it possible for a hacker/trojan etc. to view this and convert it back into my Password?? Apologies if this is a stupid question, just wondering??

Short answer is yes unless it's encrypted before being stored in the registry.

Ste05 wrote:
    I just found the same thing in my registry, BTW: Club Dice Poker = CD Poker...

The password doesn't look the same as my real one, but just to be safe, I've uninstalled it too...

Send me your FT username/password and I'll emm, make sure it's ok for you :cool:

Advertisement