Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beatles - Who Do You Think Was The Best and Why

Options
  • 26-06-2006 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭

I've heard lots of different opinions from people on who they think was the best or most talented member of the Beatles.

Who do you think was the best and why?

Best Beatle? 58 votes

George
    0% 0 votes
    John
    31% 18 votes
    Paul
    31% 18 votes
    Ringo
    27% 16 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    10% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

in fairness the beatles weren't that musically talented at all...

lennon and mccartney wrote some great lyrics and lyrical melodies thats all really imho.

i would say george was the most talented tho because he wrote alot of the trickier guitar stuff and seemed to have a greater influence in the later years.also his music after the beatles was so ****in good better than the others by far

so yeah george is the man

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭LOTTOWINNER

Paul "was" the most talented song-writer.
    John was the best live performer.
    George was an all round nice-guy
    And Ringo was the luckiest man alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

jcoote wrote:

LOL.

That must be one of the most ridiculous statements of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Ringo was the best.

Why? Thomas The Tank Engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

john was the most talented. the beatles were great because they complemented each other perfectly. john and paul were songwriters but wrote about totally different stuff(perfect example is -a day in the life).
    george was a great guitarist and ringo wasnt bad. sounded great on yellow submarine too!
    john could sing, write songs, play and he was a leader and outspoken as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

jcoote wrote:

I know of an opening for a professional ****e-talker, drop me a PM

ianmc38 wrote:
    LOL.

That must be one of the most ridiculous statements of all time.

i'm speaking from amusical point of view...most of their songs are very simple ie not complex

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Ringo was the best.

Why? Thomas The Tank Engine.

Beat me to it!

I can see Jcoote's point, the Beatles aren't exactly the epitome of complex musicianship but then again they never set out to be that. They wrote some great songs and were hugely influential. They didn't repeat the same formula over and over again (look at the difference between early Beatles and late Beatles, could be two different bands). I wouldn't put them anywhere on my favourite bands list but they do deserve a bit of respect for some great songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Beatles are tolerable I guess....George Harrison is probo my favourite...

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

The time signatures on some of McCartney's songs in particular were very unusual.

I think there was synergy within the whole band, but they also had some sparks of genius on the solo side. Harrisson was the best of them in his solo career IMO.

It's probably popular to discount The Beatles at the moment - but they were one of the greatest influences of popular music. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

George had the best solo album. All Things Must Pass is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

It's hard to say who the most talented was. My favourite however was john as he possessed great heart and wrote some great songs. He was a lot more interesting than paul mc but the latter probably had the better vocal ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

my favourite was John, but I have to say, I don't think any of them would have been famous without the other three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Ringo, if only for the way he said "GEAR!" in the Simpsons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

id say john lennon would have been famous anyways. he had a pretty successful
    solo career after the beatle. i know he didnt have one unbelievable album like george harrison but he still came up with 20-30 class songs over the course of 4 or 5 albums.
    tbh wrote:
    my favourite was John, but I have to say, I don't think any of them would have been famous without the other three.

The time signatures on some of McCartney's songs in particular were very unusual.

thats LSD for ya

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Not particularily a fan of the Beatles, but I really like George's solo stuff, so I voted for him. Next would be John. Then Paul. Then .... well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Mc Cartney was the best songwriter.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

lennon, his songs are more experimental and have more artistic integrity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

John, with George not far behind in second.

I think the differece in quality between the Beatles stuff and any of their solo stuff shows that they all worked much better as a team than they did alone. You could say that Harrison is an exception here, although he was never giving too much of a chance to shine within the band - but when he was, his 'beatles' songs were again far better than his solo work imo.

Never cared for McCartney's song writing, in our out of the Beatles, but he was the pefect compliment to John.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Paul, by some distance. Wrote the best songs, wrote the widest range of songs, was the better singer, better guitarist than John (according to John), better producer too. tried to keep the band fresh by introducing more instruments etc.

What Paul is lacking is the lyrical sense of John, Paul isn't a bad lyricist but his solo career is littered with good songs ruined by lazy lyrics.

Also, unlike John, George and Ringo, he never beat his wife. The other 3 have all confessed to beating theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I dont really care who the most talented member was. They worked as a group so its irrelevant.

I liked Ringo best. Big nose, poor enough drummer, awful voice - still though, he was the man. I'd say he was a great laugh. I hope he outlives that w***er McCartney, he wants too be the only Beatle so badly.

The Stones RULE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Paul wa always my fave, brill songwriter, lovely personality, geat voice by far the most talented and attractive Beatle. He just had this charm about him and he did most of the compositions with John Lennon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

How the hell has John only got 5 votes out of 24 when he should have 24 votes out of 24??? :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

How the hell has John only got 5 votes out of 24 when he should have 24 votes out of 24??? :confused::confused::confused:

People here prefer the music over the image?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Paul. He just was.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I voted for George, he has always been my favourite - apart from being a great singer and guitarist he also wrote 3 of (in my opinion) the best beatles songs, these being "something","while my guitar gently weeps" and "here comes the sun".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Charm Offensive

George Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

Also, unlike John, George and Ringo, he never beat his wife. The other 3 have all confessed to beating theirs.
    Best quote of the day!

This is a tough one though cause without each other I think they wouldn't have that extra push to write the songs, but I have to say that I prefer John's songs more than the others. A day in the life and I'm only sleeping are great tunes to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I think John.

In my opinion the best solo Beatle album is John's Sometime In New York City.

Advertisement