Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Overheating 306

Options
  • 25-06-2006 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Driving a 99 306.

Gets very hot when left ticking over. I thought it was just when stuck in traffice after a long commute but I noticed it when parked outside a mates house after a two min drive.

Rises rapidly to 90 and then once I get moving again drops rapidly to the norm.

Is this a funked up fan? Is it a big/expensive job to replace/repair?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Check the water pump, or maybe theres a faulty radiator hose, look for leaks, water levels etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Water levels seem fine. Be checking it regularly the past few weeks with the hot weather and although it did drop slighlty not significantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Is this a funked up fan? Is it a big/expensive job to replace/repair?

Possibly, and no.

If the problem developed suddenly, then it's probably either the fan or the 'stat (mounted in the rad body I think on Pugs). Given the fact that French main stealers are invariably waiting with open flies to sell spares, the fan may be pricey, the stat less so...

Not sure of your expertise, are you in a position to bypass the thermostat to check that the fan is functioning? Multimeter?

If you can narrow it down, you'll get a better idea. Someone here will know of any weak points.

HTH

Possibly, and no.

If the problem developed suddenly, then it's probably either the fan or the 'stat (mounted in the rad body I think on Pugs). Given the fact that French main stealers are invariably waiting with open flies to sell spares, the fan may be pricey, the stat less so...

Not sure of your expertise, are you in a position to bypass the thermostat to check that the fan is functioning? Multimeter?

If you can narrow it down, you'll get a better idea. Someone here will know of any weak points.

HTH

Cheers Roundy.

My expertise.....well I can make it go forward and backwards and sometimes back in time when the flux capicitator works. I have a mate who will have a look at it. Just thought I might be able to get an insight into what might be wrong.

How much damage am I doing by driving like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A sugestion would be to get her down to a mechanic in the morning, let them have a look and get a professional opinion. The last thing you want is a blown head gasket.

• Advertisement

Hal1 wrote:
    A sugestion would be to get her down to a mechanic in the morning, let them have a look and get a professional opinion. The last thing you want is a blown head gasket.

Cheers Hal.

Advertisement