Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

209 kmh

Options
  • 25-06-2006 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

Anyone see the article in the Sunday World?
    22 year old clocked in his Impreza doing 209 kmh on the Dublin to Derry road gets a €300 fine :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm sure he'll find the money somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Was it an Irish or NI reg car?

My guess would be NI. A small fine, told don't do it again and sent on his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

You guessed right- NI.

NI drivers are great at using bus lanes too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sure the Irish to the exact same thing on NI & UK roads... I'm sure we'll get over it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There are "ongoing" discussions about sorting out this loophole but seeing as there is no Assembly up North it may be some time.

I'd be a little scared driving a southern reg car recklessly up north, don't know bout you. but I reckon they don't take as much sh**e up there as the Gardai down here do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

A few years ago if you parked a southern reg. car on double yellow lines up north they'd blow it up, the police or the army that is.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

A friend of mine got off doing 110mph in a 40mph in a scooby on a technicality. Thought that was ridiculously lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

wow he was let off easily, if that was irish plate he would have been screwed.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

junkyard wrote:
    A few years ago if you parked a southern reg. car on double yellow lines up north they'd blow it up, the police or the army that is.:rolleyes:

dont know if you were intending to be humourous but...

ROFLOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

drdre wrote:
    wow he was let off easily, if that was irish plate he would have been screwed.:D

Are you sure? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

JustinOval wrote:
    Anyone see the article in the Sunday World?
    22 year old clocked in his Impreza doing 209 kmh on the Dublin to Derry road gets a €300 fine :confused:

The thoughts of having an article about you in the Sunday World is a great deterrent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

didn't a judge in wicklow jail some people for speeding recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

JohnCleary wrote:
    Sure the Irish to the exact same thing on NI & UK roads... I'm sure we'll get over it

Or run over by them. Maybe people wouldn't be so lax about northern drivers if they lived in a border county and saw this reckless driving on a daily basis. I think a Drogheda judge got it right recently when he described northern drivers as ‘worst in the world’ who ‘drive like maniacs’ .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

mal1 wrote:
    I think a Drogheda judge got it right recently when he described northern drivers as ‘worst in the world’ who ‘drive like maniacs’ .

He must never have left Drogheda in his life then.

And if what he is alledged to have said is correct, I actually think it's quite irresponsible of a judge to make such prejudiced statements. Firstly, the world is a very big place and secondly, he is tarring the many thousands of NI drivers with the one brush. He should never be allowed to preside over a road traffic case where the defendant is from the North.

edited to add:
    I wonder what he would have made of the Louth registered car which I passed (on the inside) on the new Boyne Bridge (M1) yesterday who braked heavily and slowed to 20mph on the outside lane so his passenger could take a photo...

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

He must never have left Drogheda in his life then.
    QUOTE]

Well maybe if northerners took a leaf out of the judge's book and never left the 6 counties, then none of us would have a complaint!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

If it was in the Sunday World it must be true.

The UK police do have the power to impound your car pending a hearing for dangerous driving but are unlikely to do so.

Advertisement