Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nct Q?

Options
  • 25-06-2006 2:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

I have a just imported a car and was wondering one thing. It doesnt have a spare tyre. I know where it should be,but there isnt one. Is that an nct failure or does it NEED one.
    The manual i read,said if a carrier is fitted then its tested on that.
    And also what is the situation with rear wipers? Once again they say "applys to windscreen only" but im not sure if that relates to the washer fluid/jets/
    Little help!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I have a just imported a car and was wondering one thing. It doesnt have a spare tyre. I know where it should be,but there isnt one. Is that an nct failure or does it NEED one.
    The manual i read,said if a carrier is fitted then its tested on that.
    And also what is the situation with rear wipers? Once again they say "applys to windscreen only" but im not sure if that relates to the washer fluid/jets/
    Little help!?

Yes the manual is a bit vague about spare wheels. They seem to concentrate on externally mounted spare wheels and carriers. You could get a spare for a few euros in a scrapyard/breakers.

AFAIK they only check the front windscreen wash and wipers as a rear wiper is not a legal requirement.

http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

if there's no spare wheel, take the carrier off before testing it (if you have one) they can fail you on a spare wheel if it is not road legal, and in the car
    they will fail you on non or poorly operating jets, and also on the condition of the wipers

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

land9 wrote:
    if there's no spare wheel, take the carrier off before testing it (if you have one) they can fail you on a spare wheel if it is not road legal, and in the car
    they will fail you on non or poorly operating jets, and also on the condition of the wipers

Spare wheel is not part of the test, except for taxis ! Same applies for rear wipers/wahers !

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do you not reckon you should get a spare wheel anyway? I mean they check for spare wheels because it makes sense for people to carry them.

Cosmo K wrote:
    Spare wheel is not part of the test, except for taxis ! Same applies for rear wipers/wahers !

Spare wheel is part of the test. Taxis need full size spare wheel though.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    Spare wheel is part of the test.

No its NOT, and I think i know what I'm talking about here. Only Taxis are legally required to have a spare wheel .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Cosmo K wrote:
    No its NOT, and I think i know what I'm talking about here. Only Taxis are legally required to have a spare wheel .
    Regardless of legal requirements a spare wheel is definitley listed on the NCT inspection list.

EDIT: It appears that it may only be checked if you have one in place.

I'm pissed off now as I ended up paying over the odds to get my spare replaced before my last NCT based on this misleading information on the 'inspection list'.:o

Cosmo K wrote:

So you're saying, if I NCT my car tomorrow, and take the spare out beforehand I'll still pass?

Regardless of legal requirements a spare wheel is definitley listed on the NCT inspection list.

EDIT: It appears that it may only be checked if you have one in place.

I presume that would be a tyre/wheel inspection but the OP wanted to know if you require a spare wheel in the first place.

I presume that would be a tyre/wheel inspection but the OP wanted to know if you require a spare wheel in the first place.
    I've had a look at the NCT Manual and it appears that they will not fail you based on the condition of your spare but will advise you of it. The actual checks of the spare wheel are restricted to ensuring that it is securely mounted. There is no mention of a requirement for a normal road car to have one.

This level of testing makes a lot of sense. I know someone who had an external spare wheel come loose at 60mph and it was just luck that saved the driver behind. It's just a pity that the limitation isn't hilighted more clearly.

• Advertisement

Didn't all fail/advisals turn in to fail/refusals last year?

colm_mcm wrote:
    So you're saying, if I NCT my car tomorrow, and take the spare out beforehand I'll still pass?

Yes but if you leave it in with a buckled wheel or bald tyre you will probably fail!!! :)

colm_mcm wrote:
    Didn't all fail/advisals turn in to fail/refusals last year?
    You're right abotu that but I don't see any mention of fail/advisals in this document. It seemed to be just setting out what consitituted a fail. I presume that the list of 'fail/advisals' and 'fail/refusals' was maintained in another document.

There used to be a few things like blown bulbs and wipers where they would advise you to get repaired, but would still issue you with a cert as long as you promised to get it fixed. I suspect a missing spare may have fallen under this categoey

They got rid of this system last year.

It seems a bit ridiculous that you can fail the test for having a star missing on the European flag on the reg plate but not for lacking a spare wheel! :rolleyes:

YES ! :D Just think of all the new cars, that don't have a spare wheel in the first place :eek: :eek: BMW Z4 , MB SL.......

They have run flats........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

It does seem very misleading. Obviously i will be gettin a spare pretty soon,but not before other things on the car are sorted (exhaust,electrics etc) Im glad im not the only one who has trouble reading in between the nct lines. The rear wiper can be removed and the hole plugged up with a rubber gromit on my pug 106-so not too much hassle there!

Advertisement