Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CLS Vs S Class

Options
  • 24-06-2006 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys

Heres a Q that has me a little puzzled. Id like to know why someone would pay € 100K + for a Merc CLS which is a four door saloon when you can buy an S 320 CDi for much the same money. My Father in law had the CLS ordered from Newgate in Navan last September and when it was ready for collection he went and had a look and decided he didnt like it and waited to pick up the new S 320. Thing is both cars are the same price roughly and both are 4 door saloons....so why buy a CLS when you can buy an S class??

Whats the point of the CLS...what role does it fill?? I love mercs myself and I own a CLK but Im really puzzled by this one!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kaiser1 wrote:
    Hey guys

Heres a Q that has me a little puzzled. Id like to know why someone would pay € 100K + for a Merc CLS which is a four door saloon when you can buy an S 320 CDi for much the same money. My Father in law had the CLS ordered from Newgate in Navan last September and when it was ready for collection he went and had a look and decided he didnt like it and waited to pick up the new S 320. Thing is both cars are the same price roughly and both are 4 door saloons....so why buy a CLS when you can buy an S class??

Whats the point of the CLS...what role does it fill?? I love mercs myself and I own a CLK but Im really puzzled by this one!!

Some people think it looks nicer. I'm not one of them, but I'm probably in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There's €20,000 in the difference between a CLS 320CDI and the S Class with the same engine.

€85,000 vs €105,000

The CLS is more sporty, whereas the S CLass is a barge. CLS uses many E class bits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The thing about Mercs is that there was always a very clearly defined role foe each car.....I.E E- Class = executive car,S-Class = Luxury car,SL = Big Daddy Roadster, CL = Big Daddy Coupe.....but With the CLS I just think its in a kinda Limbo.Have to it does look good but once you have a drive of an S it gets very very difficult to imagine antthing better.Absolute stonker!!

And another thing is that the list price for the S 320 might be €105k but by the time my F.I.L picked up his car he handed over just over €115K...and as far as he knows he didnt get any extras.

But the CLS starts with a 3.5L petrol doesnt it??

Nope, the 320CDI is 2 grand less. and should hold its value far better too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,230 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kaiser1 wrote:
    And another thing is that the list price for the S 320 might be €105k but by the time my F.I.L picked up his car he handed over just over €115K

He must have ticked the option of a single cupholder :D

As regards to the CLS, the diesel was not available in Ireland initially. The choice was between the 350 and 500. Brother-in-law got the 350 although he would have gone for the diesel if he had the choice. Nice car by all means, although for that kinda money one might as well add tuppence and go S-class

I've seen a good few 320CDI's around.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,230 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote:
    I've seen a good few 320CDI's around.

Aye they're available now, but not back last summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 semi

The CLS is just Daimler-Chrysler's way of saying: 'this is what the Jag XJ should have looked like'. Just like the Chrysler 300c is them thinking 'What would a quarter-price Bentley look like (with a Hyundai interior)'

Good one semi...ha ha!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I hated the CLS when I saw the first picture, didn't get the whole '4-door coupe' thing at all. Then I saw one in the flesh...

Way more desirable than an S-Class for anyone under 45, I reckon... It's been a huge success for Merc & apparantly Audi are preparing a competitor.

Agreed, It looks like a slug, but it's gorgeous. The best looking Merc of the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I like the appearance of the CLS too, but it's a bit too American looking and I think it will date quite quickly
    (just sour grapes on my part, obviously :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As already said the CLS is a sports saloon and aimed at keen drivers whereas the S Class is a large executive barge which is more aimed at people who are driven around in it.

I really don't see the same type of person who is looking at the CLS being interested in the S Class and vise versa. Generally the CLS is aimed at younger buyers than the typical S Class buyer.

Similarly I don't think someone looking at the SL would be interested in the CL.

Advertisement