Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!

Options
  • 24-06-2006 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

I keep hitting the ball between inside of the club face and the shaft (especially tee shots), causing the ball to travel violently right. Its really upsetting my game and seems to have come out of nowhere. Getting worse each time I play :(

any advise/tips? Has it ever happened to anyone here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

It could just be that you are standing to close to the ball, try take a small step back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pwee

It's a shank. It's caused by one of the following. 1. you are attacking the ball 2 much from the inside, cure is 2 put maybe a bottle or piece of wood before the ball on the inside and try 2 hit the ball without hitting the bottle. 2. you also could be coming excessively from the outside if so the cure will be the reverse of what i said earlier. Google cures for shanks and u prob will get an illustration. My best advice is to get a lesson and get sorted properly as i know why a shank is caused but u need to find out whats causing u to swing it in this manner.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Address the ball on the heel and when you are attacking the ball attempt to hit the ball on the toe. This will reverse the shanking loop

Good Luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Thanks guys, I have a lesson booked at the spawell in a week or two. But this was really driving me nuts! And I never had it before, I tried standing in a bit, standing back a bit...urggh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭DIEGO WORST

this is a problem that has affected most golfers at some time - even Pros, Clarke, Poulter in recent years - I've even seen Nicklaus hit one, about 20 years ago. So don't panic.

I had a dose of the "Davy Crocketts" a while back. Discovered I wasn't clearing my hips - haven't had a problem since.

Be interested to hear the Spawell Pro's diagnosis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

this is a problem that has affected most golfers at some time - even Pros, Clarke, Poulter in recent years - I've even seen Nicklaus hit one, about 20 years ago. So don't panic.

I had a dose of the "Davy Crocketts" a while back. Discovered I wasn't clearing my hips - haven't had a problem since.

Be interested to hear the Spawell Pro's diagnosis.

standin too close to the ball!!! :-\

have played a few times since and it seems to have worked...funny thing is that I'm pretty sure I've always stood the same distance from the ball, but somehow it managed to get worse!

Seems to be gone now anyway :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭DIEGO WORST

WillyWonka wrote:
    standin too close to the ball!!! :-\

have played a few times since and it seems to have worked...funny thing is that I'm pretty sure I've always stood the same distance from the ball, but somehow it managed to get worse!

Seems to be gone now anyway :):)

Good to hear you've solved the problem.

It's funny how things get out of sync even when you don't believe you've changed anything. I often read Golf Digest instruction tips, and more often than not the Pros harp on about constantly checking their fundamentals, setup, alignment & grip etc. I had thought that once the fundamentals are set, that was it - I now know that it is easy enough to drift back into bad habits.

Would it be possible to keep a Sticky of members swing problems + proven solution, such as WillyWonka's experience solving a shank problem?

Advertisement