Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spacer in bus lane

Options
  • 24-06-2006 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

I'm not a taxi driver fan usually but in this instance I will defend them!

Was in a taxi yesterday morning going to work, was reading the paper in thr back when he jammed on, all I could see was the car in front had smoke coming off his tyres where he had dropped anchor! Asked the taxi driver what was up and he said "I get this all the time", to cut a long story short the taxi driver had flashed yer man to get out of the bus lane and the guy lashed on the brakes and literally just sat there and blocked us off for 30 seconds. Then moved 20ft and stopped AGAIN. Taxi driver tried to overtake him and as soon as he did the guy took off as quick as his ford focus would take him. Funny thing was we caught up with him 2 mins later further up the road ! The driver was a greasy aul fella who didnt have the gaul to make eye contact as we passed him. Total w**ker.
    Forgot his reg unfortunately but suffice to say he could have easily caused an accident if the taxi driver wasnt awake.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

that's unbelievible! I can't believe the behaviour of some city drivers!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I don't agree with the taxi drivers being allowed to use the bus lane...:mad:

They just drift in & out of them to suit themselves, cutting drivers off in the main lanes when the bus lane ends and it boils my pi$$.

Almost had a collision with one a few weeks back. It happened on the N4 into Dublin from Lucan before the M50. He was plodding along inside me in the bus lane and I was in the left lane. The front of my car was about 6ft behind the front of his and I was getting ready to to exit down the slip lane for Liffey Valley. So if he's in the bus lane, he should take the slip road down also with the bus lane, but I had a 6th sense he was going to continue on the N4. So I backed off and I was right. He kept on going. If I was level with him and took my legitimate left exit, he would have hit me...I'd like to have seen the cops sort that one out

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

How early yesterday morning? You sure the lane wasn't open for all traffic at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

AFAIK that bus lane is 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

cormie wrote:
    How early yesterday morning? You sure the lane wasn't open for all traffic at the time?

715am, the bus lane opened ay 7am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

ah ok, even if it was off hours, still no excuse to jam on like that:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭samo

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I don't agree with the taxi drivers being allowed to use the bus lane...:mad:

They just drift in & out of them to suit themselves, cutting drivers off in the main lanes when the bus lane ends and it boils my pi$$.

Almost had a collision with one a few weeks back. It happened on the N4 into Dublin from Lucan before the M50. He was plodding along inside me in the bus lane and I was in the left lane. The front of my car was about 6ft behind the front of his and I was getting ready to to exit down the slip lane for Liffey Valley. So if he's in the bus lane, he should take the slip road down also with the bus lane, but I had a 6th sense he was going to continue on the N4. So I backed off and I was right. He kept on going. If I was level with him and took my legitimate left exit, he would have hit me...I'd like to have seen the cops sort that one out

I hate that part of the N4, have often seen the privately operated buses and Bus Eireann buses continue on from the bus lane straight through to the N4 towards palmerstown and TBH am not sure who actually has right of way, thankfully havent had to make a judgement call on it but always worth taking your time on that exit!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sizzler wrote:
    I'm not a taxi driver fan usually but in this instance I will defend them!

Was in a taxi yesterday morning going to work, was reading the paper in thr back when he jammed on, all I could see was the car in front had smoke coming off his tyres where he had dropped anchor! Asked the taxi driver what was up and he said "I get this all the time", to cut a long story short the taxi driver had flashed yer man to get out of the bus lane and the guy lashed on the brakes and literally just sat there and blocked us off for 30 seconds. Then moved 20ft and stopped AGAIN. Taxi driver tried to overtake him and as soon as he did the guy took off as quick as his ford focus would take him. Funny thing was we caught up with him 2 mins later further up the road ! The driver was a greasy aul fella who didnt have the gaul to make eye contact as we passed him. Total w**ker.
    Forgot his reg unfortunately but suffice to say he could have easily caused an accident if the taxi driver wasnt awake.

While I agree with the general sentiments of your post, the taxi driver has no authority to decide who can and cannot use the bus lane.

"A driver must not drive a vehicle at a speed exceeding that which will enable him to stop within the distance he can see to be clear".

If I was a passenger in that taxi, I would have been annoyed with the taxi driver for putting me in danger. If he cannot accept that others may flout the traffic regulations, then he should find another occupation rather than compromising his customer's, and indeed his own safety. People will break the law and as a motorist one has to accept that that is inevitable no matter how annoying it can be. The taxi driver should have brought the matter to the attention of the Gardaí instead.

Incidently, if he had rear-ended the car in front, he would probably have been held legally liable for any claims.

Advertisement