Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Got poor FM reception.

Options
  • 24-06-2006 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone help with my car radio? Its a 1996 Blaupunkt Madrid unit with tape deck and CD unit in the boot jobbie. The MW/LW reception is grand but on FM it'll only pick up a strong local signal which here means WLR and BEAT, Today FM and RTE 1 are just audible but no good when on the move. The ariel is one of those short bendy items on the rear window, I checked the connection to it and its solid.

Any ideas?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I bet you have pressed a wrong button somewhere, setting the reception preference on "local" transmitters.

This could be done on quite few (old) Blaupunkt radios I've owned. Unfortunately, without the manual (which you probably haven't got) it's a b**** to find out how to change this setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I pity the fool that listens to WLR and Beat. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have the manual and I checked all the setting regards reception sensitivity and its fine, I unhooked the ariel and the reception didnt change so I think
    the little amp at the base is bust.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

have you tried connecting a different aeriel?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, it could well be the integrated amp. Have you checked to make sure the amp was getting power?

• Advertisement

No would'nt know how! Given the price of a new unit there's little point in a repair job.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭maidhc

mike65 wrote:
    The ariel is one of those short bendy items on the rear window, I checked the connection to it and its solid.

Did the A6 not originally use the rear demister as an ariel? The A4 of that vintage definately did. (It also had the Madrid radio, which incidentally was also fitted to the e-class, and is far better that the newer Balupunkt ones.)

Try a different ariel to start with, and check if the ariel that is there is grounded properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mike65 wrote:
    No would'nt know how! Given the price of a new unit there's little point in a repair job.

Mike.

But if the problem is with the ariel itself you will still be stuck with a new head unit with poor reception. A replacement ariel is alot cheaper than a replacement head unit at this stage.

wouldn't the short bendy aeriel be a carphone aeriel?

I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

maidhc wrote:
    Did the A6 not originally use the rear demister as an ariel?

You couldn't use the demister as an antenna. That is wired to take current only.
    If the antanna is part of the glass on any screen (windscreen or backlight) it has to be a seperate circuit with separate connectors. Usually it's just one or two lines.

peasant wrote:
    You couldn't use the demister as an antenna. That is wired to take current only.
    If the antanna is part of the glass on any screen (windscreen or backlight) it has to be a seperate circuit with separate connectors. Usually it's just one or two lines.

That would make sense alright, I never gave it much thought.

The A4 had two vertical lines on the back window, possibly these were the elements for the antenna?

It wouldn't be the demister circuit itself, just 2 or 3 lines above it as peasant said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

mike65 wrote:
    Anyone help with my car radio? Its a 1996 Blaupunkt Madrid unit with tape deck and CD unit in the boot jobbie. The MW/LW reception is grand but on FM it'll only pick up a strong local signal which here means WLR and BEAT, Today FM and RTE 1 are just audible but no good when on the move. The ariel is one of those short bendy items on the rear window, I checked the connection to it and its solid.

Is it the Madrid RCM 148? I have an almost identical head unit and it's FM reception is excellent.

Can you borrow a different head unit to check if it is the aerial or the head that is at fault?

Its the 105 version. I have no easy swaps availble

Mike.

piccy of the aerial

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mike65 wrote:
    piccy of the aerial

Mike.

That looks like an old car phone aerial to me Mike. I don't remember Audi or VW fitting the ariel to the rear windscreen like that. I could be wrong though.

Hmmmmm, me goes outside to have a proper look at my own car!

I'm back, there is nothing on the rear screen that looks like an aeriel element nor is there anything in the car to suggest it ever had a phone plumbed in. Usually there is a box of tricks and lots of cable under the rear seat but not in mine.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I thought you had a MB - several posters have referred to an Audi or VW???

I bought an A6 a few weeks ago. :)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mike65 wrote:
    I bought an A6 a few weeks ago. :)

Mike.

Ah! I 've been abroad for several weeks. Well wear. :)

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/install/show_model.asp?id=17

There's an amp for the aeriel, That would suggest it's on one of the glass panes, try the rearmost side windows.

Okay have done some actual research and the those who queried the rear screen aerial are right, the radio element is built in to the rear window demister and the amp is located in the C pillar on drivers side. It looks like a few hours work with all the removing of seats, panels, speakers etc. So I'll leave it for another day.

Mike.

could the amp be faulty?

I'm assuming at this point its the cause of my woe (such as it is woe, still got LW/MW)

Mike.

check out the link above, they can be had for £9.99

I wonder if it is possible to use the old carphone antenna instead and the bypass the signal amplifier? Or do they work on an entirely different principle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Is it always poor? Or during certain times? Does your car have Daytime running lights?

Its the same all the time - local statiions with strong signal okay but anything from Mount Leinster very weak.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

You car doesn't have HID light fitted, by any chance?

Advertisement