Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supernatural vs Sadistic

Options
  • 23-06-2006 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

Which type of horror do you prefer? Do you prefer a knife or chainsaw-wielding maniac chopping up people or little Asian girls crawling out of a tv?
    I was having this discussion with a friend of mine, who is quite sceptical of all things supernatural. He felt that because a slasher situation is more realistic, it is therefore scarier.
    But while I love the slash and gore type of horror films, they never give me the same 'hair on end' moments as the pyschological, supernatural types. The Eye, A Tale Of Two Sisters, the original Rings etc.
    Which do you prefer? (Of course, some of the classics have elements of both, your Jasons, your Freddys, Michael Myers etc).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Archeron

Certainly for me, the slasher type just doesnt cut it (sorry). The slasher is the more realistic thing to happen, but thats what kind of gives it the "meh" factor.
    The idea of being in a situation where pretty much everything you know, religion, scientific basis etc is thrown out the window is terrifying. I think one of the roots of fear is non-understanding of ones circumstances, and for the laws of physics to change before you would put you in a much more disturbing world.

When someone gets killed by a slasher, there are some certainties. The axe will crash to the floor, the blood will run down, death will be swift etc etc. Take these away and introduce the terrifying potentials such as an eternity suffering in hell or, for example, melted into Freddy Kruegers chest of pain with the other captured victims, and thats what can instill true terror and dread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Definately supernatural. The unexplained. Clear winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

It used to be the slashers, growing up with Halloween, Friday 13th, etc they were great films. These films had the 3 main ingredients for a proper killer in a movie:

1. Can't see their face
    2. They don't talk
    3. Kill everyone....no mercy!

I think after Scream hit the cinemas, slasher movies just don't have it anymore. There's only so many ways to scare/frighten the audience with slasher movies and none that have followed have been dynamic/creative with regard this. For me Scream was the last good slasher movie.

In the last few years the only films that have impressed me were Dark Water (Asian), Wolf Creek, Grudge (US), The Descent, The Ring (US), so I guess I'm heading over to the supernatural crowd.

No doubt this might turn into a Asian v Hollywood thread.

Actually on this issue just saw Brotherhood based on recommendations on boards and what a fantastic film. I actually clapped when it was over.

Advertisement