Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gods and such

Options
  • 23-06-2006 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭

what role do gods play in rituals/magick for you guys?
    which gods and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭akari no ryu

King Mob wrote:
    which gods and why?
    Rituals are for the Gods.
    I rarely ask for help from them in magjic3k* from them, magjic3k* is more about spending personal energy and the all-pervasive energy.

*magjic3k is the real spelling and remember, the 8 is invisible and if you can't see it you're not magjic3kulle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are many differeny ways of spelling that term and I have to say I never liked any of them with a k or a j for that matter.

Rituals are for the worhship of my Gods at certain times of the year.
    Any 'working' I would do I would ask my Gods for thier guidance and wisdom.

Are you on a spiritual path King Mob what if any gods have called to you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

King Mob wrote:
    which gods and why?
    How one views or uses the gods depends on the magickal (sorry Thaed) paradigm through which one works. One can see gods as objects of devotion, whereby one improves and changes oneself through acts of sacrifice to and worhip of a deity or group of deities. One can see gods as aspects of oneself, to be called upon in times of need. One can view the gods as embodiments of natural forces that can be appealed to for specific purposes, and who can grant gifts and affect ones fortunes. One can see gods as abstract entities which one can allow to inhabit oneself for brief periods of time in the hope that they will imbue one with certain of the properties ascribed to them.

In times past any given spiritual path would be confined to one or other of these interpretations. However modern magick has become more sophisticated, and most practitioners would believe all of the above mechanisms to be valid and useful. Those of us who attempt to work outside of paradigm tend to think of the gods as devices which can be incorporated into a magickal or spiritual act in an unlimited number of different ways, towards the attainment of specific results.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

i argee with sapien on the gods being a mechanism so i guess i'm not spiritual in that sense.
    gods have never really called out to me (either through subtle signs or through booming voices from the heavens) but i am partial to thunder and fire gods i.e. thor and vulcan (or was he a titan?)
    who do you follow Thaedydal?

Being a polythiest I work with several Gods, I do have a patron Deity and She chose me not the other way arround and there have been times I have been loaned out to do work with other Gods, either to work with different people or
    as a favour to my patron Deity.
    I also have a connection to certain Loa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

King Mob wrote:
    i argee with sapien on the gods being a mechanism so i guess i'm not spiritual in that sense.
    I wouldn't agree that that is an unspiritual conception of the gods. Merely a practical one. Magick could very nicely be defined as practical spirituality.
    Thaedydal wrote:
    I also have a connection to certain Loa.
    :) Fascinating. How do you find them?

Challenging, exhausting, demanding, glorious and loving and tending to laugh at me when I am hung over the next day.

you mention no names. curious. is there a reason?

My connection to my Gods is an intensely personal one and you should know if you are seriously studying a magical path that names have power.

So you have anything to contribute to the comminity here beacuse at this stage it look like you are looking for easy information or ways to do non spiritual magical workings to increase your own powers with out any guidance from deity and that does not fix with in the contexts of this forum.

you misunderstand i'm looking for input other than what i can read on the internet or books. i don't know any magick practitioners personally so this is the only place i can contact them.

• Advertisement

There are other places.
    http://members.createforum.net/index.php?mforum=occultireland

Well what have you read ?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

I would tend to work with Celtic deities such as Danu, Lugh, Brigid etc, however I'd agree with Sapien that these are all aspects of the divine or windows if you like. I think the source is the same whether you are monotheistic or believe in a pantheon, it's just a different approach. I would be more focussed on spiritual development and right living than the pursuit or application of madjickkkk (ha ha), although I will use it when I think it's appropriate.

http://www.electricpublications.com

a load of crappy wicca books, raven sliverwolf and what not.
    a load of random websites including most of what you posted
    this book called city magick but i forget who it was by
    pop magic by grant morrison
    a lot of articles on choasmagic.com
    and a few pages of the book of lies by uncle al.

i'd admitt i don't consider myself pagan but this was the only place i knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

King Mob wrote:
    which gods and why?
    Deity must play a major role in wiccan ritual. Within initiated traditions of wicca (ie. Gardenarian and Alexandrian) it is pretty much a cornerstone of ritual to invite in the God and Goddess, that is as important as casting the circle itself. Depending on nescessity, deity would be invited at differing levels, from evokation, to drawing down the sun and moon.
    This element of ritual is a primary differance in ritual for religious purpose, that is pagan wiccan druidic circles as opposed to those magicians and sorcorers or various ilk who conduct ritual without a defined prescance of deity.
    Wiccans and most pagans believe in the concept of imminent divinity, which means that deity is with us and in us and about us and in every living thing as opposed to the up there in heaven concept of other religious paths, therefore my Gods and Goddesses are always with me in circle.
    As for magical workings, from energy raising in circle to making a herbal remedy, I would also always involve my Gods and Goddesses. This would be in differing ways depending on the situation. It may be just a word out loud or thought in my mind that I am doing this in the name of or in honour of a particuluar deity or sometimes beseeching the assistance of deity for a working. Either way deity is omnipresent and as such has involvement in all I do. However that said, I would not conciousley invite deity to help me with an every-day event, for example I am not going to ask deity to make sure my favourate dish is on the menu for lunch... it is their decision to interviene in daily affairs or not but weather I invite them to assist or not, a sincere thank you always goes a long way.

As for names I have a personal relationship with a Goddess and God of the tutha de dannan, however I will occasionally work with other deities as appropriate to others I may be in circle with or whos temple I am in etc etc... as for names, Im not going to say online the names of every lover I ever had nor who my best friends are nor who I have worked ritual with etc. Same goes here, if it is in person and it feels right then fine I will discuss these things openley, however i do feel that such things are inappropriate over the internet. Go along to one of the many moots or gatherings that happen all over the country, be friendly and true of heart and many people will talk very openley with you about such things and may be far more willing to help and guide you in the right direction.

Advertisement