Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampers - Legal???

Options
  • 23-06-2006 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Need some legal knowledge - am a lawyer myself but don't know the ins and outs of this situation. Was out for dinner last night with 2 others. We went to a restaurant in a Dublin hotel. The hotel carpark was across the road - signed for patrons use only. Fair enough. We parked, went inside and had a lovely meal. When we came back out, my car was clamped. Agh!!! :mad: Now, there was actually a sign saying you needed to pay and display but we genuinely did not see it. I would not take the risk of paying a huge sum just so I could get out of paying €2 to park there.

I had to pay €120 euro to get it removed - the normal fee of 85 plus 35 extra because it was after 10pm. I rang the hotel in question this morning, assuming they employ this clamping company to police their car park - but no. They lease the car park from Dublin City Council and it is the Council who employ the clampers.

What I want to know is:
    a) can the council or their agents (the clampers) legally do this - considering the car park is leased by the hotel?
    b) is it reasonable to impose a payment of €120?
    c) is there any legislation dealing with this or are there any regulations?

Would appreciate any knowledge on this issue at all!!:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Try asking this as a hypothetical question... thread might get locked otherwise. :D

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

*Bam.*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement