Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought a cheap 7 string

Options
  • 23-06-2006 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

I was in NYC looking everywhere for a 7 string Universe to go with my Jem, and couldn't find one. Chatting with herself last night, and she said "Why don't you buy a cheap 7 string first to see if you like 7 strings?", so I did!

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_harley_benton_hbr7450frbk_7string_egitarre_prodinfo.html

I'll strip the headstock when it arrives and reshape it, spray it black, lacquer it and no one will know what it is. And if 7 strings are fun, I'll go for my Universe. Certainly beats the fixed bridge 7 string Ibanezes I've seen around. I couldn't go back to a fixed bridge after 8 years on a floyd.

Anyone else every bought one of these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Fey has one of that model, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

ned78 wrote:
    ....I'll strip the headstock when it arrives and reshape it, spray it black, lacquer it and no one will know what it is........

Jaysus, why bother? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Jaysus, why bother? :p

Because it'll take all of about 2 hours to do it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Get a second hand Ibanez. You will be much happier. It's a terrible guitar.

I'm not fussed if it's tone is perfect, this is just a plaything to see if I like 7 strings. I've the money for a Universe, but I just need to see if I'll stick with 7 strings first. I shelled out enough for my Jem and Wolfgang, but it took me a while to make my decision, this will be the same I guess.

Terrible as in tone, weight, setup? Surely a decent setup will sort out the action?

• Advertisement

Terrible as in just plain terrible. Badly made of terrible woods and components. Spend a hundred quid more and get a LTD H-207. Infinitely better (yes there's no floyd but you can't have all floyds :p)

feylya wrote:
    (yes there's no floyd but you can't have all floyds :p)

Why not? :D Okay, maybe someday I'll buy something with a Bigsby!

Would you recommend it for messing around on for a month or two to see if you can adapt to 7 string chords, etc? Would you sell the one you have?

The one I have isn't in any state to be sold :p Although, I did do a nice job on the scallops

scallop2.jpg

Advertisement