Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JJ72 Split

Options
  • 23-06-2006 3:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

In a not so shocking announcement JJ72 have decided to call it a day. Pighead will remember the band fondly as I quite enjoyed their two albums and thought they were destined for greatness. Improv especially being a sign that this was no run of the mill Irish bunch of chancers. Not too sure what this means regarding the album they were recording. I'm guessing its lost forever now.Coming Home released a while back impressed me and I was kind looking forward to the album.Bugger
    Anyway goodbye JJ72. Thanks for the tunes.
    http://www.nme.com/news/jj72/23411

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I thought the lead singer had too weak a voice to be a lead singer. I didn't even know they were still together in order to split.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I thought the lead singer had too weak a voice to be a lead singer. I didn't even know they were still together in order to split.
    Alas you're post would be the views of many, hence the split.
    His voice is either love it or hate it alright. I dunno I thought they released two decent albums with a few great singles thrown in for good measure. Going off to listen to them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

Touted as the new Radiohead, never impressed me. Saw 'em live once was good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Whyyyy won't it snooooow.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

God they were crap - i remember Phatom used to have an ad for one of their albums - it was on all the time. Heap of crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

I quite liked JJ72 but I'm not surprised they've called it a day. I kept hearing about all these plans for a new album for ages now so i never thought it would materialise and I guess now it never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I loved them, one of the best Irish band in aaaaages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

They have a third album recorded and ready to release since March 2005 but the record company wouldn't/couldn't release it. I imagine the only way this album will be heard now is either it gets 'leaked' on the internet (as bands often do when this happens) or the band could thoretically buy the rights to the album back from the record company.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Bad news but i hadnt heard any of there tunes for yearrssssssss

They has some great songs my personal favourite was "snow"
    but i also loved "algeria"

Bad news but unexpected as you say;)

yes and i will have a final swan song!

"whyyyy wont it snowwwwww, like they saiddddd it wouldd,
    what is it that they knowwwwwwww that i really shuddddddd":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Ye I think they had real potential, everyone always said there 2nd album was such a let down after the first, but i thought it was great.

Saw them in the Olympia many years ago and it was a great gig, they should of done a farewell gig or something...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

I also saw them in the Olympia a few years back. Thought they were good but Mark thought he was the man, didn't like him at all. He was trying to mould the band into a mini Smashing Pumpkins, that's the only reason they got a girl bassist, to be like them and he even admitted that in an interview.

They did produce a few good songs and have their 2 albums, so sad to hear they've split

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

I To Sky is better than their debut and is in fact an epic classic

Listen to it more and you too will realise this

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

i think most people that were fans were gutted, but not surprised.they got messed around by their management and record company.
    my boyfriend is a pretty big fan..i only saw them once live and they were brilliant. its just unfortunate they got f**cked round by the record company. (who have been deleting any myspace the band tried to set up for the fans, and the website, all week which is fairly childish. even if they do have rights to to the band name/music etc)

i was pretty ****ing surprised. They had only just put up on their myspace that the album was coming out at the end of the year. Then this. Kick in the balls :mad:

Garret wrote:
    i was pretty ****ing surprised. They had only just put up on their myspace that the album was coming out at the end of the year. Then this. Kick in the balls :mad:

the date for their album release was put back and back.just when they had both agreed on a date the record company would change it and the band just got sick of it.it would've been an act of god to have that album out at the end of the year when it was supposed to be out at least a year ago! the only way it will be released now is if/when the band buy back all the rights to their songs etc and release it independently.
    considering the history its not that surprising at all.sad yes, surprising no.
    (i could rant about record companies all day really!)

ellenmelon wrote:
    the date for their album release was put back and back.just when they had both agreed on a date the record company would change it and the band just got sick of it.it would've been an act of god to have that album out at the end of the year when it was supposed to be out at least a year ago! the only way it will be released now is if/when the band buy back all the rights to their songs etc and release it independently.
    considering the history its not that surprising at all.sad yes, surprising no.
    (i could rant about record companies all day really!)

i know about all the delays but this was the first time in ages they made such an announcement. It'll creep onto the interweb after a while

Garret wrote:
    i know about all the delays but this was the first time in ages they made such an announcement. It'll creep onto the interweb after a while

a lot of info gets spread by word of mouth.they've always said they ****e they've had to deal with but id say they were told to shut up a good few times!
    if their ex-management would stop deleting myspaces and websites maybe more people would know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

Their new myspace is here:

http://www.myspace.com/jj72band

Mark and Sarah also have their own personal ones too.

Serbian wrote:

Mark and Sarah also have their own personal ones too.

i had spotted those..but thanks for putting them up for other people that want to know what theyre up too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Serbian wrote:

Gone again!

Sad to see them split.
    They were the first gig I ever went to back in 2002 in Cork.
    Always reckoned the first album was a let down for most people, which hit sales of the much better second album.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Really sorry to hear that they're splitting up.

Really enjoyed their first album, there were some really good songs on there I liked. Though I thought the second album was a bit of a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

absolutely gutted theyve split. the new material sounded excellent, coming home in particular is a great song.

easliy one of the best irish bands of the last decade. great live with two excellent albums and a unique sound.

thanks for the great tunes jj72 and rip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭ZappaFrank

I was talking to Fergal a few weeks back and himself and Mark are already working on a new project! Fergal was quiet honest about the reasons of breaking up, mainly the lack of support from the record company!

JJ72 were very underated! It's a pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Lakota are f***ed now anyway, jj72 were their biggest name, now who have they got? 8 Ball! *snigger*

The 2 albums can't really be compared, they were so different, and by all indications the new one was different still... I hope the lads get back together under a new name and give it a proper go. I think at the best of times they were too distracted by Lakota screwing them to focus on the music and the fans, though they were never less than gracious when meeting fans. Good times, great memories, bad fortune...

Advertisement