Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping laptop scratch free?

Options
  • 22-06-2006 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I've got an Inspiron 6000 from Dell and was wondering if there's any way to help avoide scratches getting on the cover of it? Anything you can put on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I have a Dell XPS M170 laptop with a brushed aluminum LCD backpanel and theres scratches up the ying yang on it.Its very hard to avoid this type of thing, but careful handling and I also use a magazine to place between lining of laptop bag and the lcd cover as kind of a buffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

you could get a notebook sleeve. this is just a sleeve that covers the notebook so that when it's in your bag it's protected. it doesn't anything to the dimensions or the weight (well, very very little).

I just got one for my Dell XPS M1210 in the Laptopshop on the top floor in stephens green. it's call the Elcom ZeroShock. its very well hyped on the net, so i thought i'd give it a go. and for 25euro, i thought you couldn't go wrong. and i was right.

it seems ridgid, but what ever it's made of, absorbes shocks and impacts. i showed it to my boss, and he put the cover on the ground and dropped his phone on it from about 7-8 feet up!! the cover completely absorbed the shock, and the phone just stoped, there was an indent left (but the material just reforms after a few mins) it's really cool. definitely worth checking out. i got the 12inch version, but you can get them up to 17".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Not sure if you can get the clip on covers for the 6000 might just be around for the 6400, they offer great protection I had one on my XPS gen1, nice rubber one with skulls :)

Think they call them express on covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i've a ferrari 4000, carbon fibre lid :)

it let NO1 near it and have it well protected when taking it about. i put it in a shock-absorbant sleeve which i then place inside my main laptop bag which uses airbag technology.

basically, my laptop is wrapped in 1000 layers of cotton wool when i move it from a to b. when at home, i usually clean it every week or so and use an anti-static cloth daily to wipe the dust off screen, keys etc...

needless to say, it's in pristine condition and not a mark on her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭maidhc

Just use bag and be careful!

My 2 year old Latitude x300 is still perfect, although the keys are a bit worn!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

just dont use it

ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Ye, i tried to avoid scrathes on my Acer Aspire, then i took it with me to South Africa :rolleyes: , dozen different friends all trying to get there gruby paws on it, came out with a few scratches....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

seen this last week and thought it was quite funny .... answer to your problems ? lol

http://content.techrepublic.com.com/2346-10877_11-1184-2.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

ah dont even worry about it, its a dell so itll be fooked before you even get a chance to scratch it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You could put a laptop skin on it: http://aspoke.com/ (disclosure, is my company).

It's really disappointing when an expensive computer can't keep it's 'fresh' look. It should be able to take a little wear and tear (just my opinion).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Nice idea antoinolachtnai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

toastylappy.jpg

here's a dell laptop for you, blew itself up when on show at some conference :D

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/06/28/dell_probes_fiery_laptop/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

antoinolachtnai: does the skin just cover the top half of the laptop yeah? looked at the site, quite like the che guevara one :D just need a laptop now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Yep, goes on the back of the LCD panel. You could cover more, but it costs more (obviously) and it's a little tricky to fit. Can be done though. You can also skin other things, even a fridge!

Advertisement