Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car radio

Options
  • 22-06-2006 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Anybody know where I could buy a car radio for a fiat seicento? also would anybody know where to buy a car speaker thingy for mp3 players?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A seicento uses a standard DIN sized radio, so any radio you buy in Argos etc. will go straight in. Buy one with a 3.5mm input socket on the front for an MP3 player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

couldn't ask for a much better reply than that! cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Flangemonger

Funny, 3.5mm inputs were fashionable in the late 80s when CD walkmans first came out, then they disappeared. Now thanks to the iPod etc., they're making a comeback.

If the stereo you want doesn't have a 3.5mm input socket on the front, another possibility is a little FM radio transmitter. They plug into the headphone socket of the MP3 player and convert the sound into a radio signal, which you can then tune your radio to.

Pros: no wires snaking across your dashboard.

Cons: they're illegal (but hell, so are fireworks and have you ever been here at Hallowe'en...?:rolleyes: )
    Also, the sound quality is not as good as a wired connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

just get a radio with an input. an FM modulator will cost you €45 at least, and all bar the I-trip run on batteries, the sound quality isn't great, you get interference form radio stations. the cons far outweigh the advantages. As the OP hasn't bought yet, they might as well get the right stereo to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

If you can get one of the stereos that was on sale in Aldi today - MP3, memory card slots, line-in - for €85, it could be worth a whirl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

Have car radio/cd... - works fine for about 3 minutes then reception on all channels goes and have to turn it off for 30 seconds. Works fine for another 3 minutes.................... Any thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Buy something that SOUNDS half decent. There's nothing worse than driving around listening to a glorified transistor radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

NauP wrote:
    Have car radio/cd... - works fine for about 3 minutes then reception on all channels goes and have to turn it off for 30 seconds. Works fine for another 3 minutes.................... Any thoughts

I had a similar problem with my old radio, it would work fine then sometimes it would fade in/out depending on what electrics were running. If i had lights on the volume would decrease, sometimes the radio turned itself off. Most of the time it wouldn't work at all unless the car was running. I spent quite a while checking output from alternator/rectifier. . replaced car battery . .tracing wiring and verifying voltages. I was convinced it had to be some problem with the power beign supplied to the radio. In the end i bought a new pioneer system and viola .. no more problems.

I would suggest your first course of action is to replace your radio.

Advertisement