Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epiphone Valve Junior

Options
  • 22-06-2006 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭

This is a 5W all-valve amp for €145 from Thomann (back in stock mid-July)

epiphone_valve_junior_epajr_gitarrencombo_pimx_185116.jpg

It looks a bit gank and it only has an input socket, an on-off switch and a volume knob but it has VALVES! Earlier models apparently had a woeful hum but recent versions have it sorted. Reviews on Harmony Central are very positive. They are said to be very loud for 5W. I'm just looking for a home amp with the fabled valve tone.
    Musicians inc, Music Maker and Waltons never heard of them.

Anyone here have any experience of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭selephonic

I have one here, great little thing, but too loud for a practice amp. I've been using it in rehearsals and gigs, will be using it tomorrow night actually. The tone is very good, as good as anything within about 400 quid of it. As I was saying to someone else here on boards the guitarist in my band has both one of these(we got one each) and a fender pro junior and the epiphone wins out.

It's very loud for a 5 watt, but at full whack it sounds soooo good, somewhere between a supro and jmp. Very hard to get though. Try Imuso.co.uk in engerland, that's where we got ours but nowhere else seemed to have them.

At lower volumes I've tried a couple of things to give it more guts and best I've tried so far is a boss Super Overdrive, but I haven't been through too many things, I reckon a DS-1 would set it off nicely.

Build quality is very good too, and it looks sweet.

As regards the single volume, it doesn't really matter too much if you have a nice guitar into it, I've played teles and strats into it and it sounds great but I've been told humbuckers work well too.

Come along to Isaac Butts tomorrow night and you can hear it in the flesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Ive been very interested in the head version...

100_0265.jpg

100_0266.jpg

All reports so far says it sounds great and since im mostly a bedroom player these days 5w is plenty. Hook it up with a pod and your onto a winner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Thanks for all the great info!
    selephonic wrote:
    ..... but too loud for a practice amp. ......
    That's what I was afraid of actually but for €145 I might get one anyway for those special occasions when the wife and kids are out.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

i was talking to the guy in the old waltons about this amp, he said they had them in before but they all sold out and he cant get any back in. it sucks.

the heads are impossible to find in europe, the combo looks just as good too :)

there's a BIG modding community for these amps, with many dedicated sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

I really want one bad now, been reading up loads of online reviews and apparently this thing is amazing! Nearly just bought the head for $119 off ebay then I realised id need a transformer cause of the different power! :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm thinking one of those and a tube screamer and you're in blues heaven :D

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭selephonic

By the way, I tried out a mesa V-Twin pre-amp in front of this, and it sounds terrible, so it's not for really high gain stuff. It's very much a "classic" amp sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

edit: made a pricing mistake.

that's nice, but it can't be great without at least 1 tone control...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Now KH is going to have to get an A-B-C switch! One for clean Microcube, one for Rectifier Microcube, and one for Screaming Tube Epi!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Just ordered one of these babies with a little big muff for going to the gaelteacht, ill let yiz know how i get on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Thomann too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Rustar wrote:
    Now KH is going to have to get an A-B-C switch! One for clean Microcube, one for Rectifier Microcube, and one for Screaming Tube Epi!

I'm afraid not. No interest in the Epi tube amp. I've barely get any use of my Microcube now that I'm all Engl'd up, and I wouldn't even bother with the 2nd cube at this stage. Now you're all thinking, holy crap, what have you done with the real Karl Hungus? Not playing the Microcube? Well, a bit still, but jebus the Engl Fireball dominates all else. It's the sound. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

deaddonkey wrote:
    edit: made a pricing mistake.

that's nice, but it can't be great without at least 1 tone control...

Isn't the tone knob your fingers? :D

Isn't the tone knob your fingers? :D

Where on the body is the Gain knob? :D

Beecher wrote:
    Ive been very interested in the head version...
    All reports so far says it sounds great and since im mostly a bedroom player these days 5w is plenty. Hook it up with a pod and your onto a winner :D

Whats an iPod got to do with it? :confused:

Whats an iPod got to do with it? :confused:

I believe he means a Line 6 Pod.

I believe he means a Line 6 Pod.

DOH :o Ah never heard of that before. Just looked it up.

Where on the body is the Gain knob? :D

That the Volume knob? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭JMArr

145 for tube tone ..thats a bargain. I was looking for something like this a while back but smallest I could get in dublin was a blues junior for like 500 quid .the 10 watt looks interesting as well for 270...dsp effects & reverb too.I'm nearly sure I saw one of those epi valvers in waltons on frederick street..?

• Advertisement
Advertisement