Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spilt water on my laptop!!

Options
  • 22-06-2006 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭

last night.. its an apple powerbook. It wasn't a full glass but maybe a quarter, however stupidly STUPIDLY i only dried it then turned it upside down for about 3 minutes before deciding it was ok and used it again... and it was ok... for a few minutes. then it started doing things of it's own accord, just little things like changing hte volume and typing 1's all by itself, but i turned it off straight away and blew it with a hairdryer on a low setting for a couple of minutes then turned it upside down. I left i there all night and will for a while longer - 24 hours apparently. Anyway I just went and check it there a few minutes ago and when i turned it on i got a weird symbol on the screen, (a little like a fan) and a battery symbol, neither of which i have seen before.

Im scared now, is it going to die on me? What should i do? Will i lose everything? Believe me, i know how stupid i was not leaving it turned upside down when it first happened.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Take out battery and leave it over night in the hotpress wih screen open,should let whatevers left evaporate out.
    Thats my advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

you should never have turned it back on until you had it completlt dried out... bit like throwing the toaster in to the bath.. wont be a problem un less the toaster is plugged in to power... best advise is get it covered on your house insurance straight away.. claim it in about a month

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Get someone to open it up. Get then to ensure all parts are completely dried. They might also be able to see if any damage has being done and if it is repairable by cleaning with 100% alcohol and reworking the solder.

Get someone who knows what there doing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

hmm, well your HD will probably be OK so your data should be intact.

Strip it down as much as you can and allow it to dry. Remove the battery as other have said.

When you reboot, if it gives those logos again, take a photo and post it up.

TBH, it sounds like the logic board has had it, but you might be lucky.

Advertisement