Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

FBD Motor Insurance

Options
  • 22-06-2006 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

A Chairde,

Just givin, ys a heads up....

Have been ringin, round lookin, for insurance.

Am 37, first time insurer , drivin, a corolla 1.3l , and have full licence.

Quinn quoted me 1100 euro , FBD quoted me 545 !!!!!

Happy days and shop around .....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Been saying this for ages FBD are class, I have my insurance with them and althou when I swapped car last year they where a tenner more than Quinns there policy is 10 times better. Priced dropped over 500 euro this month which they promised me last year because I was with them so long. Great people to deal with and no sh*t when you need to claim, father crashed years ago and they where great., Bro was with Quinns even thou I told him they where brutal, made a claim and they gave him the run around for months before paying out

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm with FBD too, they seem to be the cheapest and I've had no problems dealing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

I just tried their online quote. It came up with €375. I'm currently paying in excess of €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Just rang them for a quote on mine and because it is 3.5ltr (group 6 car??) I would have to be over 35 for them to quote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

get a print out of that for proof
    demac wrote:
    I just tried their online quote. It came up with €375. I'm currently paying in excess of €600.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have been with FBD for the last 3 years and each year they have consistantly been the cheapest for me.

The same for home insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Only problem with them is that if you are a provisional licence holder (proposer) you have at least a 5 year EU No Claims Discount (No Claims Discount relates to a car and not a moped or motorcycle).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

TheBazman wrote:
    Just rang them for a quote on mine and because it is 3.5ltr (group 6 car??) I would have to be over 35 for them to quote!

That's probably why they're cheap!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

Went online to get a quote. Was reading quickly thru the conditions before beginning to enter my details and i fail on this......

Conditions:
    Your Car...
      Is not more than 10 years old.

Why is that. (mines a 14yr old Merc)

Probably would still quote me although i would have to phone up. For my car but only 10yrs i would have saved myself 500 bucks. Gonna try them when i am renewing.

Also, from their terms of business,
    "Your car...has less than a 2000cc engine"

FBD are for Farmers :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Bwahaha - over 2000 on a 2litre. Over 25, full clean licence, 2 years ncb. No thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'm with them for the second year now. €480 on a 1.6 with 4 years NCB and full no claims bonus protection. Found them much better than anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭VroomVroom

I've been insured with FBD for the past few years and have found them to be brilliant. I wouldn't touch Quinn because I got into the unfortunate situation of trying to claim from them once.

It took months to get a penny out of Quinn, I wouldn't like to ever have to deal with them again.

Anyway, that's off point, rang FBD, instantly got a quote of nearly half of what other companies were quoting me (I was being penalised for the claim against Quinn by most other companies).

I've been with them ever since, consistently has come down in price each year, very fast to change insurance over to new car when I got it this year, couldn't fault them on anything.

Have insured the house with them since then, and again they are cheaper for that. (They also had no problem insuring me in a 2.0L car, I'd definitely call them)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

They seem to go from very cheap in some circumstances to very expensive in other circumstances that are not hugely different.

For me, my quote is 1430 but if I was a year older (25) it would be 830. Thats a €600 difference- stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭VroomVroom

cargrouch wrote:
    Bwahaha - over 2000 on a 2litre. Over 25, full clean licence, 2 years ncb. No thanks!

I'd re-check that mate, I was only paying 800 on a 2 litre, that was about 2 years ago, I was 26 with 3 years NCB. It came down to 650 after the 1st year, then I changed to a 1.6 car, paying under 500 a year now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

VroomVroom wrote:
    I'd re-check that mate, I was only paying 800 on a 2 litre, that was about 2 years ago, I was 26 with 3 years NCB. It came down to 650 after the 1st year, then I changed to a 1.6 car, paying under 500 a year now...

:o Fecked up the year in the DOB. Now 1265 fully comp for 2L Volvo S40 valued at 8000. Still very high - I've priced a Nissan 200SX (2L turbo RWD) for the same price with other insurers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

kerbdog wrote:
    Also, from their terms of business,
    "Your car...has less than a 2000cc engine"

Hardly, give them a call. They gave me far and away the best quote on my 2.5 litre Bmw and the best quote on a 4.0 litre jag i'm looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

kerbdog wrote:

Yeah it is and we love it, dont have city boys raising the insurance costs with there little lawn mowers with bits hanging off them:p

Big Nelly wrote:
    Yeah it is and we love it, dont have city boys raising the insurance costs with there little lawn mowers with bits hanging off them:p

True true - instead they have tractors with bits hanging off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

I also changed from Quinn to FBD,
    im paying €560 fully comp + bonus protect for a 2.0 ltr petrol.
    that was €30 more than Quinn but FBD include(F/C)windscreen cover,breakdown assist + lock replacment.
    while i was with Quinn i needed a new windscreen(heated + slightly tinted)
    rang quinn they said id have to pay the excess €300(at time) WTF!!.:mad:
    windscreen cost €300 anyway:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement