Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dusty Speakers

Options
  • 22-06-2006 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

Hi

got a set of 50w sony speakers 6x9
    second hand.
    seems that a build up of dust and grit in the bottom cone (main/large) is stopping the diphram moving at the center. Iv tried to hoover it out ond have shook them and got a lot out even played it really loud for a while to see would it shake it down to the bottom, but still no good.

any ideas how to clean ou the dust. its completly sealed and taking it apart is not an option i think:rolleyes:!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

Take it to a garage and ask them can you use their compressed air for a moment.

It'll clear it out fairly nifty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

great idea,
    never thought of that, was thinking about gettin a can of it but they are so expensive that i would be better off buying a new set.
    Freind has a compressor so ill call round there.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

TBH, I don't quite understand how dust is stopping the cone from moving. There is no way that dust can jam a cone from above.

Look at the diagram here >> http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/speaker5.htm

Note that the dust can only rest on the cone. If your speaker cone is tight or jamming it is most likely that the voice coil is distorted and 'dragging' against the fixed magnet. In other words it's probably knackered. If that is the case then eventually the coils insulation will be worn and the speaker will stop working altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I thought that too, it sounds to me like the coils fried and therfore warped, preventing it and therefore the diaphraghm from moving.

Advertisement