Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of the Week #13: "Rather Ripped" by Sonic Youth

Options
  • 22-06-2006 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

So what do you all think of this? It's their last album for their current contract with Geffen, do you think they'll stay with Geffen or move on to fresh pastures? Do you think Jim O'Rourke jumping ship has made any difference to their sound?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i have it, but haven't listened to it yet.

their last record "Sonic Nurse" was superb, one of the best things they've ever done, so I have high hopes for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I have no sonic youth records, never quite figured out where to start,so whats a good first album to get me started?

BTW nice to see album of the week back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Andy-Pandy wrote:
    I have no sonic youth records, never quite figured out where to start,so whats a good first album to get me started?

Daydream Nation, listen to it a few times and if you can't get into it get Goo or Dirty and go back to it at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Daydream Nation or Sister are two good starting points.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Well frankly I think it would be more worthwhile discussing Sonic Nurse or one of the other albums that have had time to be digested or listened to.

On the Geffen point, Geffen always sends a shiver up my spine. He and Neil had some fun together (won't get into that here).

On to this album, from the couple of listens i've given it - its a continuation somewhat of the more accessible direction taken with Sonic Nurse. I'm just not sure if its as good. I'm not sure if it moves me in any particular way. Hullabalooza anyone? Lots of sparse production, clean guitar, drums, dissaffected singing.

Its either entirely brilliant or mundane. I haven't decided yet. Still there are lots of catchy licks that grab my attention - but thankfully not in a clichéd way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Well frankly I think it would be more worthwhile discussing Sonic Nurse or one of the other albums that have had time to be digested or listened to.

On the Geffen point, Geffen always sends a shiver up my spine. He and Neil had some fun together (won't get into that here).

On to this album, from the couple of listens i've given it - its a continuation somewhat of the more accessible direction taken with Sonic Nurse. I'm just not sure if its as good. I'm not sure if it moves me in any particular way. Hullabalooza anyone? Lots of sparse production, clean guitar, drums, dissaffected singing.

Its either entirely brilliant or mundane. I haven't decided yet. Still there are lots of catchy licks that grab my attention - but thankfully not in a clichéd way.

I quite liked the direction they took with Nurse. Although I occasionally felt the album was a bit repetitive at points, I liked the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I think Sonic Nurse is one of the best albums they've done in years. It was a few years since there was a Sonic Youth release that interested me (I remember going to see them at Witnness a few years ago for when Murray Street and walking out on them, such a boring, lifeless show). Rather Ripped has its moments but overall it's less exciting than Sonic Nurse. There are some really good tracks like "Incinerate" but a few meh tracks. I need to listen to it some more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭the real ramon

I think it's too soon as well to make a judgement, but I like a few songs on it already: the aforementioned 'Incinerate' is good and I like 'rats' as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Sonic Youth certainly have an impressive output of late. The last time I listened to a "new" album of theirs was Murray Street back in '02. With Sonic Nurse and this new one out I have some catching up to do.

Advertisement