Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bringing my car into the UK

Options
  • 22-06-2006 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,
    Plenty of advice on this forum about bringing cars from the UK over here, but I couldn't find any on doing the opposite. To make a long story short, I'm moving to the UK and intend on bringing my car with me. Has anyone done this previously and is there much hassle? What do you need to with regards to registering and taxation etc? Would I be better off selling it and buying a car over there?
    All advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Given the price disparity with the UK it is hard to imagine why you'd want to bring your car across unless it was a brand new export.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

[SG]BGA wrote:
    Hi,
    Plenty of advice on this forum about bringing cars from the UK over here, but I couldn't find any on doing the opposite. To make a long story short, I'm moving to the UK and intend on bringing my car with me. Has anyone done this previously and is there much hassle? What do you need to with regards to registering and taxation etc? Would I be better off selling it and buying a car over there?
    All advice greatly appreciated.

Cars are much cheaper in the UK than they are here. It would make more sense to sell your car here first. Then buy a higher spec model of the same car and year over there at a way cheaper price.

Also running costs such as road tax and insurance are relatively cheaper in the UK so you can choose a larger engined car if you like. Petrol is a bit more expensive over there alright but hey factor this into the other "on the road" costs and it still works out cheaper to run a car other there than it does over here.

To sum up there are more cheaper higher spec models to choose from in the Uk than there are here and no VRT to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

How old is the car? I can't remember how many years, but after a certain age the car must do an SVA (single vehicle authorisation) which is like a mega nct apparently. I remember getting the forms and it seemed like a fair bit of hassle to me. As the previous guys said, unless there's a good reason you want to keep your car, I'd sell it here and buy another one in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭[SG]BGA

Car is a 98 Avensis with quite high mileage (150k+). Probably worth about 2k or so, don't really know if it's worth my while selling. The reason I want to bring it over is so I have transport straight away, which I need, and I can bring all my stuff over rather than paying excess baggage charges on an airline. If it's too much of a hassle to get it legit in the UK then I'll consider selling it, otherwise I'll hold onto it. In any case, does anyone know what you need to do to have it all nice and legal over there? Oh and btw, thanks for the advice so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Yeah, I understand what you mean about the need for your car at least to transport your stuff over there. You could always come back on the boat with it again and sell it at a later stage. I don't know what it's worth, but as everyone knows, Jap cars are still worth something even with relatively high milage. I'd say Colm (the Toyota guy) would know what it's worth :)

Anyway, if it helps, I was able to insure an Irish registered car for a year in the UK. Not all insurance companies there wanted to though, but it was no problem really. Probably could have done it for longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

its easy to reregister a car with irish plates in the uk. Check out the dvla website for full details.
    IMPORTING A VEHICLE
    A vehicle which is permanently imported for use in Great Britain must be registered and licensed as soon as possible after it arrives in this country. The vehicle should not be used or kept on public roads until the licensing and registration formalities have been completed. However, if the vehicle needs to have an SVA (see section A "Type Approval") or MOT test in order to be registered, the vehicle may be driven to and from the pre-arranged test appointment. Thereafter, the vehicle must be kept off the road until the registration formalities have taken place. Application for registration should be made to your nearest DVLA Local Office. N.B It is not possible to offer an 'over the counter service'; registration usually takes between 48 to 72 hours.

A "brand new" vehicle can be driven to GB and registered as "new" provided the vehicle:

is registered in GB quickly after collection - this is taken to be 14 days but may be extended to one calendar month at peak periods (e.g. prior to 1st March and 1st September)

Only have reasonable delivery mileage and

Not have been previously "permanently" registered.
    N.B. UK law requires a vehicle to be UK licenced and registered for road use. To avoid difficulties, importers are advised to transport, rather than drive their vehicles from the port to home or first destination and to keep them off the road until they have been properly licenced and registered.

For most new vehicles you must present evidence of Type Approval from the supplier or vehicle manufacturer, usually in the form of a Certificate of Conformity. If the vehicle has not been subject to Type Approval it must pass a Single Approval (SVA) Test.

VEHICLE REGISTRATION

The following documents will need to be submitted to the DVLA Local Office. (N.B. photocopies are NOT acceptable).

Completed application form V55/4* (for new vehicles) or V55/5 (for used vehicles).

A £38 registration fee (if applicable).

# The required fee for the licence.

A current British certificate of insurance.

Foreign registration document and any other papers you have relating to the vehicle.

Evidence showing the date the vehicle was collected (normally the invoice from the supplier).

Evidence of type approval.

The appropriate Customs and Excise form.

A current British MOT test certificate (if applicable).

A Declaration of Newness V267 (if applicable). The V267 is also available from the DVLA Local Office.

Documentation confirming your name and address (view acceptable documentation)

*The V55/4 form has been introduced to distinguish between new and used vehicles coming forward for registration.

# Please make cheques, postal orders payable to "DVLA Swansea" or "Driver and Vehicle licensing Agency".

Registration and licensing will not take place unless you have the necessary documentation. In some cases the DVLA Local Office may wish to see the vehicle to check its identity.
    a 1998 1.6 avensis is probaby worth £1700stg less with high milage

Advertisement