Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

License Question

Options
  • 21-06-2006 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭

Im doing the theroy test tomorrow, I really want my license quick.

Couple of Questions,

1: Does the license you get at 16 I.E. work veichle automatically chage to a full license.

2: Can i get my license made in the local tax office (with the help of company letter ect.)

3: if the answer to the first 2 is "no" what is the general lead time from sending application away to reciving you license.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

There is no category "W" on a full licence, Category B covers you for categories W and M.

The Motor Tax Office are supposed to post you the licence as a means of address verification, though I've heard they can be accomodating.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

What Gabhain7 said. When you bring in your cert of competency to the tax office, just ask them for a letter to say that your license is being processed if they can't do it for you there and then. Do bring some photo ID like a passport with you incase you're stopped by the Gardai. I'm not 100% sure if that'll be acceptable so you may want to contact your local cop-shop to find out what to do. Good luck with the test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There must be full Cat W licences in existance surely? What if a person doesn't have a B licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

From what I've been told the W license is full even on provisional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

The W licence on provisional can't be used outside the State. A full W licence can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I can't see how that could be as there is a test available for category W.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I can't see how that could be as there is a test available for category W.

Theres no W option on my licence. My old one had a w but the newer format where they have the start and end date for each catagory doesnt have a W section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It still must exist in some form as a 16 year old could be holding a full W licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Stekelly wrote:
    Theres no W option on my licence. My old one had a w but the newer format where they have the start and end date for each catagory doesnt have a W section

Presumably that is because you have a B which covers you for W (and M). If you don't have B but have done a test in W your licence would have a W category. (The older licences had both though).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My licence has spaces for the M and W category. Someone with an older licence may not see these.

You need to do a test to get a full licence for category W, unless you already hold a full licence in cat. B (not possible at 16).

• Advertisement
Advertisement