Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Season 2' DVD (R2) @ £28.99 (or less) but with a small catch..

Options
  • 21-06-2006 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,840 ✭✭✭✭

Cheapest i've seen @ £28.99 or less with vouchers!

Now for the small catch.. this is in fact the Swedish edition of the boxset.. but good news for those without multi-region DVD player's is that it is in fact Region 2.

And for those who are swayed by the whole Swedish aspect of it.. the only element of the boxset which will differ is a small piece of Swedish text on the back. Here is the Swedish cover of the 'Lost - Season 1' boxset to give you an idea of how little it differs: Front Cover, Back Cover.

Anyone else found it cheaper? The R1 DVD comes with the added risk of customs though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I didn't even notice the difference when I first looked at the back cover. Seems like the one to go for alright. But for fúcks sake I hope we don't have a repeat of Cd-Wow's performance last time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,840 ✭✭✭✭Basq

qz wrote:
    But for fúcks sake I hope we don't have a repeat of Cd-Wow's performance last time around.
    Oh Christ.. you just reminded me! :eek: :D

EDIT: That thread is worth digging up for shíts and giggles! :D For anyone who hasn't seen it, you can just start on Page 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The one you linked Basq is 42 euro when the currency is translated, whereas the R1 on Amazon is 47 euro ($59.99).
    With the Amazon release, you have the bonus of an earlier release (August instead of September).
    But as you said, great news for those without a multi-region dvd player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Jesus that CDWow fiasco... I cancelled in the end... got put back 6 times at LEAST!

Lol, that's the old school Lost forum right there!

• Advertisement

With the Amazon release, you have the bonus of an earlier release (August instead of September).
    But as you said, great news for those without a multi-region dvd player.
    Indeed.. have ordered numerous times without problem from Amazon but still have that niggling feeling whenever i order from them about being slapped with a hefty customs bill. But never been caught for customs from Amazon or elsewhere!

And besides.. got a load of vouchers ranging from 50p - £2 for CDWOW so don't mind waiting an extra month or so and getting it for £26.99

basquille wrote:
    don't mind waiting an extra month or so

Careful now, famous last words!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Narcissus

IThe release date is a bit later than last year isn't it? I got Season one from playusa on the 12 September. The release date for the swedish one above is 20 September. The release date for playusa Season 2 is 3 October and the price is €48

http://www.playusa.com/DVD/Region_1/CART/2-/1015188/-/Product.html?cur=514

Apapaia wrote:
    IThe release date is a bit later than last year isn't it? I got Season one from playusa on the 12 September. The release date for the swedish one above is 20 September. The release date for playusa Season 2 is 3 October and the price is €48

http://www.playusa.com/DVD/Region_1/CART/2-/1015188/-/Product.html?cur=514

If you convert the 3 different currencies to €, you can pick it up cheaper than the € price given.

55.49 USD = 43.8207 EUR
    65.99 CAD = 47.0442 EUR
    29.99 GBP = 43.7014 EUR

At least I think you can get away with that, seems to work the EU Play site when converting from £ to €. Fook, seems you can get stung for customs. Is the Cd-Wow Swedish one custom free?

Yeah.. CDWOW is custom-free!

As i've mentioned.. planning on using one of the many £2 vouchers i picked up during the Footy Predictor to get it for £26.99..

26.99 GBP = 39.3300 EUR Euro

PS - shame they don't have Prison Break for pre-release! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Narcissus

the cdwow.ie region 1 is €58

http://www7.cdwow.ie/detail_results_2.php?product_code=363921

ouch!

I'd be more inclined to buy from play or playusa as I buy all my stuff from them and only once had a problem which was promptly fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

As I know a good deal of French I'll probably wait until it comes out in France. Got the 1st season on a school tour last february in Paris for €49 and it had English audio and was identical to the UK set.
    [EDIT]
    WHOA! on amazon.fr it's only €29.98! And it'll probably have the English audio as well!
    [follow-up edit]
    Just realised it's only part-one. Still a fair price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

basquille wrote:
    Indeed.. have ordered numerous times without problem from Amazon but still have that niggling feeling whenever i order from them about being slapped with a hefty customs bill. But never been caught for customs from Amazon or elsewhere!

Same here, and it's not for want of trying...! For help avoiding though, it's worth always ordering Amazon.com packages to a business address (once had a $150 slide in there!) as those don't appear to be checked at all. Will probably go with R1 set again this time, unless the R2 one has anything different extras-wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

JBoyle4eva wrote:
    As I know a good deal of French I'll probably wait until it comes out in France. Got the 1st season on a school tour last february in Paris for €49 and it had English audio and was identical to the UK set.
    [EDIT]
    WHOA! on amazon.fr it's only €29.98! And it'll probably have the English audio as well!
    [follow-up edit]
    Just realised it's only part-one. Still a fair price!

Won't say for sure on this, but with some DVDs with a primary language *other* than English, the default DVD language for that set (or its default language subtitles - in this case French) is the one forced to kick in when a DVD is inserted. There's a work-around which involves changing the default language whenever you want to use a particular disc. (I had this issue once on a R1 French/Canadian disc of a kids' TV show, but thankfully the series isn't watched much.)

Obviously this didn't happen in JBoyle's case (and probably wouldn't for big R2 releases), but I wouldn't be surprised if it's still being used by some DVD makers who like the "domestic" language to be the main one for use.

Advertisement