Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone hear about a Garda speeding clampdown from July 1st?

Options
  • 21-06-2006 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭

Found this in my inbox...anyone have any comments?

Original Message

I was doing a broadband wireless install last week for a Garda from the
    Traffic Corps. While I was there, he told me that starting Saturday 1st
    July, they will launch a 30 day speeding ticket frenzy. The state
    estimates that over e250,000 will be generated in speeding tickets.
    100,000 will go to pay Garda over time.
    There will 50 Gardai on duty at all times patrolling on the following:

M7/N7 from Naas to Portlaoise
    N4 to Mullingar from Dublin
    N6 to Athlone
    N81 to Baltinglass
    N11 to Wexford
    M50
    Dublin - Drogheda

Their will be additional Gardai assigned to 'flying squads' - mobile
    units to patrol all other routes in Dublin, Wicklow, Kildare, Meath,
    Laois, Westmeath, Offaly, Louth and Kilkenny

I'm warning everyone now that 5 kmph above the limit can justify a
    ticket and every Garda is supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket
    every 20 minutes.
    They have issued brand new unmarked cars. If you must take one of these
    main routes, or surrounding roads beware. It's up to you how fast you
    go. I was told Today FM confirmed all of this(off the record). So be
    safe and don't forget speeding tickets are on you. You've been warned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Looks like another chain mail to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Thats what I was thinking, just looking for any input if its a chain mail or real.
    Heh, maybe just chain mail started by the Guards? :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Don't open that email or your harddrive will be erased and your oil drained...my sisters friends cousing (twice0removed) has a friend who knows a guy who's going out with a girl who met this buy who was doing a sky install for a guard and he said that it's all a load of rubbish (off the record) and that it's all designed to wind up the Dublin folks and get them to leave Dublin for July..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It wouldn't supprise me if it was true tbh, the Gardai are so unhelpful nowadays they might as well be working for the Revenue anyway.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I wasn't in work today, but I'll find out tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I don't know about any crackdown. As others have said I suspect it's a bullsh1t chain mail.

But maybe this stupid mail is having an effect already. I drove 200 miles on national routes today and never in my life have I come across so many slow dawdlers plodiing along in the middle of the feckin road. I'm talking about wide open national primary routes where drivers were doing a good 30-45 km/h below the 100 km/h speed limit. I spend most of today overtaking small convoys of these dawdlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nothing like an idle rumour.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Damn those gards and their constant victimising of innocent lawbreakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I wouldn't put it past the Gardai to start a chain letter like that. It is probably their answer to effective policing on the cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Reaver772

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats torn it!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

Stekelly wrote:
    Damn those gards and their constant victimising of innocent lawbreakers.

That's definately my candidate for quote of the month:D Had to read it twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Whatever, keep sending that mail around & around, that'll hopefully make at least one idiot a bit slower down the road.

Greetz,
    Winger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

I just wish they would stop telling us what they are going to do and just get on with.:mad:

Why on earth didn't they start this yesterday, last year, ten years ago.

Stop the talk and just get on with it.

The real facts are is that they still won't have enough resources from X date to do "the clampdown". They need MORE gardai out there not more PR spin.

Fed up hearing bogus claims. We need a real traffic core presence on the street to deal with all the bad driving out there, not this stupid focus on speed which hasn't got them anywhere over the past number of years.

Just wish the government would wake up and no distractions with distractions such as the reserve force.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

This one is actually true. My brother just came out of Templemore two weeks and he was told that he will be on traffic duty for the next month as there is to be a nationwide crack down on seat belts, speeding, tax etc... it will be the usual story though. It will last a week or two and then it will be back to the usual sh1t, plus half the speeding pcitures will not come out right anyway so we have a 50/50 chance of escaping the lads in the bushes with the speed camera:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

another urban legend so...

I remember a while back a link detailing all the speed check points that were in use went around. a chap i know who was a garda at the time (retired now) said when they came across the site they put up a load of fake ones to get people to slow down. worked as well!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Advertisement