Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Noisy turbo

Options
  • 21-06-2006 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I have a Fiat Ducato 2.0TD for a few years now and it's always had a loud high pitch when the turbo operates. Is gets quiet annoying and I'm wondering if this is normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭maidhc

A whine or a "whooshing" noise?

The whine should sound pleasing, a "whooshing" is noramlly a sign of a leaky air pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

A woosh type noise on gearchanges could also be the wastegate releasing pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

my last A4 tdi had developed a whooshing noise. i thought the turbo was wagged but it was actually a split hose. when the hole really developed, the car started spitting out plumes of black smoke. changed hose- power went up, smoke went away, whooshing stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Im thinking somethings wrong with my turbo aswell. Its the opposite at the moment. While you would hear small whine the more you reved, now it has seemed to disappeared, my case was backed up today while I was in second gear, usually it would fly through it and be at a good speed. I now find it the car very sluggish in terms of getting up and going. It feels like the turbo isn't there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

stapeler wrote:
    Hi.
    I have a Fiat Ducato 2.0TD for a few years now and it's always had a loud high pitch when the turbo operates. Is gets quiet annoying and I'm wondering if this is normal?

I have an Iveco/Fiat 2.4 TD in my Camper. (1989)
    The turbo whine is quite audible when driving, especially when shifting gears.

Funnily enough though, most of the whistling/whining noise isn't really coming from the turbo in the engine compartment but the "whistling" is the loudest at the exhaust.

Probably not a lot that can be done about that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement