Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bön religion and (Tibetan) Buddhism

Options
  • 21-06-2006 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi!

I've just been reading "The Tibetan Art of Living" and "The Tibetan art of Positive Thinking" by Christopher Hansard, and I am amazed of how similar the teachings of Bön is to the Buddhist teachings, especially (of course) to Tibetan Buddhism.

From what Hansard is writing the Bön system of teachings is 17.000 years old and has been predominant in Central Asia and Tibet for most of that time. He also says that the origins of Hinduism and the Taoist and Feng Shui philosophies of China all emanate from Bön Culture and spirituality.

Since it's usually said that Buddhism developed out of Hinduism (and Taoism (?) - especially Zen Buddhism), this must mean that Bön can be seen as (one of the) the root(s) of Buddhism?

I wonder if anyone here has knowledge of the Bön religion and its connection to Buddhism, and if you know if Hansards descriptions of it are accurate.

:) M.

Advertisement