Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop for up to €1900

Options
  • 21-06-2006 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi looking for some advice

I will be able to claim up to €1900 back from my workplace for buying a laptop

my current one is slowing down a bit, it is a 3 and a half year old Compaq Presario 1500 Pentium 4, 2.4GhZ with 224MB of RAM and 60GB harddrive

Needs:

for work i don't need too much, just to be able to do fairly straightforward Powerpoint presentations, some MS Word and Excel

for home: well I will be using it essentially as a desktop so weight and size isn't a big issue.
    Would be using it for music, DVD (watching and occasional burning) and surfing the web. It should have a big wide screen and probably at least 100GB

one issue, my current laptop is quite noisy, the fan comes on after just a few minutes sometimes and is quite loud (this is unrelated to me using the CD/DVD drive) so I would like a quiet laptop and possibly one that I could leave on quite a bit or connect to Hi-Fi speakers to essentially replace a stereo and have running in the background

also need Wifi but presume that'll be a given, TV-out not that important

would like to be able to walk into a shop in Dublin and buy it, bought the last one in PC World, but I hear they can be expensive relatively, was looking at some Sony VAIO's in Dixons which look Ok but I haven't a clue really(the Sony website isn't that useful to me tbh).
    my next step is to go to Peat's and have a look there.

Don't want to buy online ( If I was at any stage in the near future going to the US I would buy it there but I am not)

also, I noticed the odd laptop has a webcam built in to the screen, apart from the novelty value (would hardly use it tbh, am not in a long distance relationship or anything else like that!) but maybe for future video phone calls it could be useful, not sure if it'll catch on with me. is it worth getting one with in-built web cam too?

any suggestions appreciated.

also I'm not really a Dell fan..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

HP dv8000 seems to be a good deal. If you've got the guts of €2,000 to spend you wont be disappointed. Pick out the best spec you can, use the allowance you've got. Then you'll be set for ages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

IBM is your man .. look up the T43 specs.. good deal in commsys clane 045 868858

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I got the Sony Vaio FE21S in Dixons there just shy of two weeks ago. Absolutely top notch piece of kit.

Completely silent, amazing screen (better than the 500 euro Samsung LCD I got last year) and works flawlessly.

I highly recommend.

Also happens to play any game I've thrown at it so far with all the top settings on ( Quake 4 is beautiful ;) ), which came as a surprise considering how quiet and slim it is.

Advertisement