Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any scrappage/trade-in deals ?

Options
  • 21-06-2006 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

I'm getting rid of my beloved 91 Celica (200k kms) and basically want to replace it with the lowest running cost car I can (tax, insurance, fuel), within reason.

Anyone know of any scrappage/trade-in deals that might be offered ? or should I just try and offload the Celica for the best money I can and go from there ?

Thx,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Sell it privately. These cars are quite popular still so i'd say you'll get a buyer easy enough. Dunno how much you'd ask for it but I'd say you might get 4k.

Once you've that done, go to a dealer who's offering one of those so called scrappage "deals". You will probably find that these deals are just a scam, you get the discount whether you have a car to scrap or not. In other words you're getting nothing for your old car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Windsor Motors....

BangersforCash.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

BrianD3 wrote:
    Dunno how much you'd ask for it but I'd say you might get 4k.

That seems a bit optimistic, considering a newer 94 model can be got for that money, and less mileage. Just my 2 cents worth.

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

scrappage deals are just nonsense, they'll give you the amount shown even if you have no trade in, don't let your choice of car be influenced by scrappage deals, as these cars are most likely to be antiquated end-of-the-line models (Almera comes to mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Anyone tried ringing up a Nissan dealer looking for the best price on eg a new Almera and then comparing it with the price offered with a car to scrap? Wonder what the difference would be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They will sell you an Almera at invoice price if you ask. They want registrations, not profits.

Advertisement