Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The background or credentials that potential lecturers may need

Options
  • 20-06-2006 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Mod Edit - New thread created for OP. Just setting this thread up for people to discuss the kinds of areas they would need an academic background or work experience in if they wanted to become a lecturer in a specific area.

Hello Tom, i read yourpost on becoming a lecturer, I found it interesting and informative. I was considering the idea of becoming a lecturer and teaching on the subject of the bloodline of jesus and the Da Vinci code etc... I had the idea of holding seminars when I have all my credentials...

But what would those credentials be, I plan to attend Brock University part time and I am interested in becoming a scholar in these studies, what would I need to become recognized as a legitimate authority on this particular subject matter?

Thanks again

Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Mikemuise, that is most certainly an ... unusual request for information. Can you give us more of an idea as to what qualifications you actually have at the moment and what teaching or lecturing experience?

I have a feeling that your question would receive more attention in another forum. I've moved your question from the area you originally posted it in order to a) take it out of the lecturing advice thread and b) to see if anyone can actually assist you.

If theres no advice forthcoming, I'll move your information request to a different forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

mikemuise wrote:
    I was considering the idea of becoming a lecturer and teaching on the subject of the bloodline of jesus and the Da Vinci code etc...

I am not so sure there would be much call for that on this side of the Atlantic, anyway...
    mikemuise wrote:
    But what would those credentials be, I plan to attend Brock University part time and I am interested in becoming a scholar in these studies, what would I need to become recognized as a legitimate authority on this particular subject matter?

Generally speaking, to become a legitimate authority on any subject matter, you need to be well published in the area and be peer-reviewed. A PhD is probably a must, though I am not sure what kind of institution would award a PhD based on the bloodline of Jesus and in how high regard it would be held.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭GoldieBear

You could check it out with the theological colleges e.g. All Hallows(Grace PK Rd Drumcondra Dublin) or Mater Dei (i went there, Clonliffe Rd, Dublin 3). I'd say probable to be an assistant lecturer in this field you would need at least an MA in Systematic Theology/Scripture. Perhaps talk to a Systematic Theology lecture in one of the afore mentioned colleges, they may be able to advise you regarding qualifications. Yuo would also need to get published as it would stand to you when going for interviews once your course is finished. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

tom dunne wrote:
    I am not so sure there would be much call for that on this side of the Atlantic, anyway...

what about a phd on whether an animal is left/right footed???:eek:

Advertisement