Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Power Thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 20-06-2006 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

THIS IS A MASTERMIND THREAD!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi!
    I'm extremely interested in psy... though i have never gone to a uni to study it. I don't think psy is only needed if you want to be a professional or if you need thearpy! I think that having an outstanding psy is useful in EVERY area of life. Having a great psy is like saying having a great mindset... and whatever we do in life we use our mind.

The purpose of this thread is for all of us to share some of the key distinctions we have found/used to create amazing results in our lives... be it from getting over some fears, to getting up and running a new business, to creating amazing relationships and so on...

Consider this notion of the 80/20 rule that states that 20 percent of our actions are responsible for 80 percent of our results. And that 20 percent of our inactions(or actions) is responsible for 80 percent of our problems.......

So let's share with each other THOSE KEY DISTINCTIONS that will help us become better and better at everything we do....

I look forward to chatting with you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Consider this notion of the 80/20 rule that states that 20 percent of our actions are responsible for 80 percent of our results. And that 20 percent of our inactions(or actions) is responsible for 80 percent of our problems.......
    And "Genius is one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration" from Edison :)

I certainly do agree with you that the subject of psychology borders and is important to an awful lot of other subject areas in the right contexts - for me that's one of the things that makes it a very interesting field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Peter Burnes

If you were to go out and earn 1,000,000 Euro in the next 5 years what are the key ideas you would use?

Here's one that i came across recently...It's to do with the idea of working for yourself!

Question:
    Do you work for yourself?
    Yes/No/Maybe???!!

How about this....everybody works...or can work for themselves, regardless of who signs their paychecks ....if they but choose!

We are all the C.E.O.'s of our own personal services companies.

Every experience we have with customers, with sales, with cleaning, with the accounts department is all valuable learning time...where we can learn and practice the skills that we can then take with us to every part of our lives!

When we work within an organisation who is our direct customer? Who is paying us? Our boss right? So our boss is our customer! If we owned our own personal services company ... how would we increase sales? by increasing value!! So as such the more value we add to a company the more wages we're entitled to.

Also the way things are going at the moment... most companies are outsourcing jobs....and the people who get them are ALL self-employed!

So remember no matter what you're doing.. TAKE CHARGE! TAKE RESPONSIBILITY! BE SELF EMPLOYED!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Most abused idea of recent times. Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle for a basic introduction.

It originally was an observation of a particular system at a particular time (and even then it wasn't forumalted as a "rule"). Then it was poorly expanded into some kind of generic rule of thumb misinterpreted as being some kind of law. Personally, I find it as one of the shining examples of the amount of bull**** in the social sciences. It can be useful when used as a concept to help people understand how the actions of a few can have reprecussions for the many but beyond this it should not be taken as a rule. As above, the statement is meaningless. It's vagueness and lack of precision just to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

nesf wrote:
    Most abused idea of recent times. .
    Oh I don't know.......there's a lot of them floating about. Left brain/right brain; we only use 20% of our brains; if you've crossed your arms, you're being defensive; the trauma of our childhoods take a lifetime to get over......I'm sure everyone here could think of a good few off the top of their heads!

Advertisement