Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need a 7 seater

Options
  • 20-06-2006 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

Just found out there's a 4th baby on the way so I'll have to buy a 7 seater for me, the wife, three kids and new baby.

I've got a 05 Jeep and the wife has a 01 Clio. She says we should trade in the Jeep as we don't need two large cars, her point being we could keep the Clio as a runabout. However she wants a MPV whereas I want another Jeep. I've been looking at the new Hyundai Santa Fe (7 seater) while she's gearing more towards the Renault Grand Scenic.

I've already discounted the Hyundai Trajet as the sister in law has one and its crap, loads of bits have fallen off inside and the ventilation fan has packed up twice (the new Santa Fe appears well built though!!). I might consider the new Mazda 5 as its a 7 seater but with only a 1.8 petrol engine to choose from, it might be thirsty.

I'm no badge snob so all makes will be considered. However, it must be capable of carrying 2 adults, a 6 year old, 7 month old twins and a new baby come next February (and a pram of course!)

Advice anyone who has a large jeep/MPV???

Prosperous Dave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Pug 307sw is decent enough. Colleague has one and she loves it, no complaints. If that's too small, Pug 807 is nice and big, sliding rear doors etc. New ones are very well specced.

Volvo XC90 is great, but it's pretty expensive to run. Father in law has one. the rearmost seats fold down seperately making the boot huge. Add to that there's headphone jacks for front and back passengers, it means the kids can listen to cd while you listen to radio (don't know if that's an option or not, but it's on his one).

Congrats on #4, btw. Happy shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

With at least three of them needing baby seats and prams and lots of gear for the forseeable future ...sliding doors would be a must IMO ...also really good access to the last row, which can be a problem in a lot of 7 seaters.

If i was you, I'd look at something with removable and configurable single seats. (Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra or the Renault Espace for example) This way you can change position(s) of siblings and gear as desired or neccessary/practical.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I've driven the Grand Scenic and its a fine oul bus, lots of nice little toys and gadgets, very comfortable driving position and she handles the road well. But avoid the 1.6 Ltr as its slow and underpowered, they may aswell have put a hair dryer motor in it. So maybe the diesel option. However, once the back row of seats are up, then there isnt a whole lot of boot space left. However, you can fold the seats down indvidually and they fold completely into the floor, even comes witha floor mat to put over it, so with one seat folded down there would be plenty of space for prams etc.

I've heard a few good stories about the Kia Sedona, only downside being the 2.9Ltr engine, the taxman would have a field day with you!!!

Another one to avoid is the Grand Chrysler, I've heard its crap and the build quality is brutal, although it had acres of space in it.. But a hefty price tag at around €50k+.

The problem with most 7 seater MPV's is that when all seats are being used, there isnt a lot of room left for a boot, so a roof box is usually the best solution there if you plan on long journeys with all the kids.

Tox

Advertisement