Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel Estate Help!

Options
  • 20-06-2006 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

Basically my dad needs to get another car for his part time business in england. He wants a dreaded diesel (any litre) but it must be an estate or a 4x4 with enought space for a 1.6m long piece of wood with the back seats down. He has 10k sterling to play with.
    So far hes looked at Lagunas, 307's sw, passat, but hes open to anything. Speed isnt an issue as he has a mondeo st220 for all that.
    All help appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

dreaded diesel

Too much Clarkson me thinks...

The Volvo estates are nice IMO - as far as estates go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

dreaded diesel

Have you drove a diesel or are you just listening to Clarkson? dont get me wrong I love TopGear but the abuse they give Diesel is a joke, I used to have a 1.6 and changed to a 1.9Tdi and loved it, bumped that up to the 1.9Tdi 130Bhp and will never turn back to petrol, cousin has a BMW diesel 150Bhp and he says the same. The value you get from a diesel in terms of milage and price of fuel outweights any reason to buy a petrol.

In the interest of the conversation what are you driving?

As many a person on here knows I am a fan of the Passat but I dont like the estate, well in fact I dont like any estate. But from my cousin point of view who was going to buy one before he got the BMW he said the Audi one is the best, think it is over a 2l Tdi engine in them so would have the extra power to pull the weight. Maybe check out the Passat one and see what it drives likes but dont go lower than a 130Bhp model, you will need to 130Bhp for the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Sounds like your father needs a 130bhp TDI Audi A4 avant quattro, but very rare car and probably not 10K sterling.
    I Currently drive a BMW 320d touring (don't even go there Big Nelly:) )
    its the 150BHP 2002 model which i bought in jan this year for 24K, i absolutely love it! its got all the power you need for irish roads and gives back 45 to 47 MPG. the boot space with the back seats down is v big. but the wheel arches protrude into the car more than the a4 but i dont find it a problem.
    You pick up my car in the UK for around 12K sterling maybe less. try: www.cargiant.co.uk
    and www.autotrader.co.uk
    and www.ebay.co.uk
    and www.bigmotoringworld.co.uk/

added: just saw that the cars will be used in the UK, so also the bigger engines might also be a possiblity i.e. 2.5TDI A4 or the 330d BMW. but if he brings those cars to ireland he'll never sell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Mc-BigE wrote:
    I Currently drive a BMW 320d touring (don't even go there Big Nelly:) )

What you mean? sure thats the diesel one! exact same as my cousins except Im not sure about the touring bit, just know its a 02 Diesel 320 Diesel so I guess the same, nice car and lovely to drive:D

See no smart comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭maidhc

Mc-BigE wrote:
    added: just saw that the cars will be used in the UK, so also the bigger engines might also be a possiblity i.e. 2.5TDI A4 or the 330d BMW. but if he brings those cars to ireland he'll never sell them.

The bigger diesels will sell alright, the fact they still return a decent mpg makes them less of a bitter pill than a large petrol. You just won't get anything extra for them.

Is there any reason why your dad wouldn't buy a van. You are sure to destroy a nice car by putting lumps of wood in the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If it's for his business, tell him to look at a Mondeo estate. They're going cheap-ish, they're reliable, not bad at all to drive and the boot is massive.

Personally I think for an estate they even are good looking.

Advertisement