Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help.. Virus

Options
  • 20-06-2006 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

I recently got a virus on my desktop computer from some "site" called New.net. I've run spyware programs, ad-aware and anti virus and they've "successfully" removed them until the next scan where it just keeps telling me that the same virus is found. Ok so I get that it hasn't been removed. But now my network connection on that computer isn't working. It says the net is connected but nothing works (i.e. messengers, browsers etc.) . Windows is also telling me that the firewall is turned off. When I try to turn it back on it says windows can't connect to such and such and therefore can't turn it back on. The network is fine on my 2 other desktops and my laptop. Just the other computer is having the problem. I've disconnected it from the network temporarily to prevent the virus spreading to the other computers. Any recommendations as to what I should do? Perhaps I should re-format. But really, that's the last thing I want to do, I'm trying to see if there's any other way of getting rid of this. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

go to this page..... http://www.mnsi.net/helpdesk/ics.html

about half way down u will see a removal tool under the heading 'Spyware & Virus Removal '

hope that woks 4 ya :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Lynibeth

Thanks a million

cool, hope it works for you, lemme know :) also if it is spyware / adware no need to isolate the pc from the network, it wont spread in this way, it is only spread by an exe for example, say through a mail attachment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Lynibeth

Yeh, thank you! It's just so frustrating! The feckin' net won't work. Grr. Therefore I can't update my virus definitions etc etc

Maybe I should put pesticide in my computer to keep the damn bugs away :cool:

lol, now that could be a good plan !. in order to updtae your virus sigs, and download that removal tool try to install a different browser ( i just guess you are using IE ), u could put on Firefox or opera for example, in order to download it just do so from another pc, save the exe and load it onto your own........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Can you update your definitions using one of the other computers? If you use AVG free anti-virus, you can download the program and the updates on to a memory key and then use that to clean the infected box.

Before you do that, google 'turning off system restore' as some viruses hide in there.

Then, to fix your network settings, you might need WinSockFix from http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html I just used this the other day to fix the same problem on a friends puter. Same thing, network was connected, but nothing except ping was working okay. Seems like taking off the virus had changed some settings. That program should fix it for you.

Are you using a firewall? If not, I'd try sth like Kerio (AKA Sunbelt).

all the best

Nice find edanto, must download it.

Lynibeth.. If and when u disable system restore ( when you are running a virus scan ) dont forget to enable it again after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I have a game pop up and defender programme? on my PC, My antivirus.Spyware etc is all up to date, and I run regular checks, still no detection of spyware, I have run other anti spyware progs, still can't reach the infection, it's really deadly, cus it actually looks like a microsoft window.

Please help me get rid of it... cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

mysterious wrote:
    still can't reach the infection, it's really deadly, cus it actually looks like a microsoft window.

Please help me get rid of it... cheers

you need to give a lot more detail. How do you know you have a virus? Which one is it? What have you done to take it off - which programs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Is it two window popups,, "regwindowurl and regwindowseeker"

If it is download trojan hunter (30 day trial) and run it from safe mode.
    Upgrade it first to the newest ver.

You could try that anyway

cuppa

• Advertisement
Advertisement