Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2006 - Government Set To Approve New Rail Service

Options
  • 19-06-2006 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

By Anne Casey, Meath Chronicle, Sat, 6th March 1999

The proposed new rail service to Navan and Dublin took a step closer to reality this week as the government looked set to approve a massive overhaul of the suburban rail system.

The Minister for the Environment, Noel Dempsey, has predicted that a rail link with Navan should be in place in less than five years, and insisted that any passenger railway coming into the county could not be allowed to stop short of Navan.

The Cabinet is believed to be ready to approve a confidential report on suburban rail, which provides for a new inland rail link to Navan, serving Clonsilla and Dunboyne.

Proposals are also being discussed regarding the possibility of taking a route through Blanchardstown and Dunshaughlin to Ratoath and Ashbourne.

According to Minister Dempsey, bringing the rail service to Navan is at the top of the agenda. He pointed out that the Strategic Planning Initiative signalled that Navan was to become a dormitory town of Dublin and said that any housing initiatives would have to be linked with public transport developments.

The proposals have been warmly welcomed throughout the county , with Minister Mary Wallace, pledging to keep pressure on to ensure that government and EU funding is made available for the project.

The Fine Gael leader, John Bruton, welcomed the proposals, pointing out that he had been pursuing this project with his colleague Mary Sylver, for a long time. He warned, however, that it was essential adequate parking and platform space be provided and that there be enough rolling stock provided to ensure a proper service.

He also stressed the importance of having regular services for people coming from Dublin to Meath to work as well as for those commuting to Dublin.

The chairman of Navan Urban Council, Colr. Jim Holloway, outlined the necessity for a rail link by pointing out it was unacceptable that the people of Meath, and Navan in particular, should have to endure the hazards of traffic congestion on the main roads network.

"Sustainable development in the county and a good quality environment demands that this rail network be in place," he said.

Navan Urban Councillor Tommy Reilly said that he would be putting on pressure to ensure that the rail line didn't stop at Dunboyne, but would be continued to Navan. He pointed out that the population of the town was rising and roads in the area weren't able to cope.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Woohoo :)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

Stark wrote:
    Woohoo :)
    I know.. It's great isn't it.. Can't wait 'til Two - O - Four...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is now 10 years and 1 month since Noel Dempsey uttered this promise to the people of Meath . I feel that Noel should be thanked for all he has done since .

The line is currently OVERDUE by OVER 5 years. Noel actually promised it by March 2004 latest . Mary Wallace also "PLEDGED" to "keep pressure on to ensure that government and EU funding is made available for the project"

http://navanrailwayproject.com/1999/03/06/government-set-to-approve-new-rail-service/

Seeing as he is now promising DARTs in Meath ( via Bettystown to Drogheda ) I think that Noels guff needs to be put in its proper context .

So does any "pledge" from Mary Wallace .

Get on the case Meath people , otherwise ye still won't have this railway by March 2014 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Get on the case Meath people , otherwise ye still won't have this railway by March 2014 .

I'll wager 2024 and it still won't be built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Proposals are also being discussed regarding the possibility of taking a route through Blanchardstown and Dunshaughlin to Ratoath and Ashbourne.

Why do people keep on thinking that this is a realistic proposition? It would be a world first and the the worlds most inefficient railway. It continues a media and political drive that unless it is the latest shiny toy (LUAS, DART ..) and passes by the end of your drive way that it won't be used.

The logical solution is a station at Dunshaughlin and feeder buses to Ratoath and Ashbourne. Alternatively both of these places might be better served by bus and bot by rail at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

DWCommuter wrote: »
    I'll wager 2024 and it still won't be built.

I'll raise you 10. 2034 and it will still be invisible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is as realistic as the DART to Drogheda announced the past few days , and the Navan line was announced by Dempsey just before the Local Elections in 1999 would you believe.

The Navan Rail by 2004 scam worked splendidly with the locals in Meath and Fianna Fáil got loads of votes in 1999. Therefore Dempsey pulled the same stunt again by announcing a fully fledged DART for them this time .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is as realistic as the DART to Drogheda announced the past few days , and the Navan line was announced by Dempsey just before the Local Elections in 1999 would you believe.

The Navan Rail by 2004 scam worked splendidly with the locals in Meath and Fianna Fáil got loads of votes in 1999. Therefore Dempsey pulled the same stunt again by announcing a fully fledged DART for them this time .

Just to clarify Sponge, I am not saying it should not happen, I am just saying that the present shower are highly unlikely to deliver it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BrianD wrote: »
    Why do people keep on thinking that this is a realistic proposition?
    Thread is 3 years old. :)

But that doesn't stop them. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

But what is the reality when it comes to these things? I don't expect it to be built, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. You just don't know when transport = politics. And every rail project on this island is about politics, even ones like Midleton where locals went out of their way to get it back. If it was built I don't expect it would be empty by a long shot as the north-east corridor out of Dublin is a public transport wasteland, and if ever a road network looked destined to encourage public transport, double tolling of the M3 looks likely to achieve that. But hey I'm apathetic about these things these day - not enough money in the public coffers, basic fixes not being looked at, what can you do

Regarding white elephants, I think another project which has been moving ahead swiftly has a much better claim to that particular accolade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

you dont mean the..... you know..... shhhhhhhhhhh.....

western white elephant?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭SeanW

You mean the Western Snail Corridor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

:)

Advertisement