Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Remember our friend in the BMW?

Options
  • 19-06-2006 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I cant arsed to dig the original thread out but here's the follow-up
    A MOTORIST who claimed his luxury car took him on a 130mph terror ride when his accelerator jammed has been arrested.

Kevin Nicolle, 25, was held on suspicion of dangerous driving after tests found nothing wrong with his BMW.

He was interviewed and released on police bail for further inquiries.

Last night lorry driver Mr Nicolle said he was "shocked" by his arrest and described it as "madness - I can't understand it".

Mr Nicolle was filmed sobbing on ITV's This Morning as he told how he wrestled to control his BMW 318 as it hit breakneck speeds through two counties.

He said he dodged through traffic, flashing his lights and blaring his horn, before calling 999 on his mobile phone and screaming: "Call an ambulance - I'm going to die!" ...

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,064 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nice one! I knew he was lying. He's unfit to drive a BMW imho ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

So he asked for the ambulance after he seen the old bill chasing him! The whole thing sounded a bit suss to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,413 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

wouldn't have happened in an Octavia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only the Mirror would claim a 318 is a luxury car! ;)

Mike.

......it was probably the model with a CD player and rear electric windows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭maidhc

Didn't Renault being defamation proceedings against the Vel Satis guy?

Still, there have been a lot of accidents with drive by wire and auto gearboxes.

Dodgy electrics? In a Renault?

Whatever next?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

This is my favourite part of the article: :)
    "I couldn't even turn off the ignition because it would have disabled the power steering."

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

power steering, essential for those 130mph parallel parking manouvers?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

To be fair, I don't think any of us would appreciate power steering failure at 130mph.

• Advertisement

you won't really need power steering at 130mph, steering will be very light.

colm_mcm wrote:
    you won't really need power steering at 130mph, steering will be very light.

In a car with dead PAS, the steering will be heavy and wooden, even at high speed. Try it at say 50kp/h, it's completely different to a car without power steering. Additionally, the sudden change would be pretty unnerving at that kind of speed.

Electric power steering is very heavy if the ignition is switched off. normal power steering isn't heavy above 30mph. I've had enough belts snapped to know what they're like without the pump working.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Anan1 wrote:
    Additionally, the sudden change would be pretty unnerving at that kind of speed.

More unnerving than having your car accelerating out of control? I've driven cars without PAS before, it's a good deal harder than driving a car with PAS but far preferable to driving a car without brakes ;)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

seems unusual that it couldn't be put in neutral, or that he didn't use the tiptronic to change down the gears, or that he didn't switch the ignition off.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Electric power steering is very heavy if the ignition is switched off. normal power steering isn't heavy above 30mph. I've had enough belts snapped to know what they're like without the pump working.

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you on that one, in my experience the steering is heavy and, more importantly, wooden & imprecise even at speed. I'm not saying I wouldn't turn off the ignition in a situation like that, but I'd be sure to do it when I was on a straight.
    Stark wrote:
    More unnerving than having your car accelerating out of control? I've driven cars without PAS before, it's a good deal harder than driving a car with PAS but far preferable to driving a car without brakes ;)

As I've said before, a car without PAS is a different thing to a car with dead PAS!

colm_mcm wrote:
    seems unusual that it couldn't be put in neutral, or that he didn't use the tiptronic to change down the gears, or that he didn't switch the ignition off.

Or that he didn't stamp on the brakes properly instead of pussyfooting around with them until they burnt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Anan1 wrote:
    I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you on that one, in my experience the steering is heavy and, more importantly, wooden & imprecise even at speed. I'm not saying I wouldn't turn off the ignition in a situation like that, but I'd be sure to do it when I was on a straight.

As I've said before, a car without PAS is a different thing to a car with dead PAS!

Makes you wonder how we managed to drive before PAS was invented...:confused:

in fairness a car with failed power steering will be harder to steer with than a car without any power steering, but it's not impossible, especially on a motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I think he's more worried if he turns off the ignition that the steering could lock. An impossibility, but would you like to try to find out at 130mph+?

Besides, it sounds like a scam. I remember an Irish biker 'clearing out his carbs' on the motorway near sligo at 140mph before ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

mike65 wrote:
    Only the Mirror would claim a 318 is a luxury car! ;)

Mike.

well if that's the case Ireland must be doing well...
    because even the foreign workers from the eastern block all drive luxury cars, and big BMWs as well.
    far cry from poor paddy walking the streets of London.... ha?

Makes you wonder how we managed to drive before PAS was invented...:confused:

Read before you post!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    Dodgy electrics? In a Renault?

Whatever next?

This very similar story: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/07/satanic_renault/

On a more serious note, was the bus accident a few years ago in Dublin caused by the driver leaving the box in D, and the drive by wire getting a mind of its own.

Advertisement