Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite period in Irish History?

Options
  • 19-06-2006 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Just wondering what peoples favourite period was in Irish history or something from Irish history that resonated well with you.

My favourite period in Irish history in the plantation period, especially the plantation of Munster, due to the interesting developments in architecture that developed at this time eg the development of the planned town such as Bandon or the development of magnificent fortified star shaped forts such as Charles fort in Kinsale.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Well mine goes without saying really..........1798, why do I like it?

I love that whole era, the style, elegance, 'age of innocence', simplicity of living and life and of course the revolutionary period and the radical new thinking from America and France, the breaking free from British rule and tragic attempt at establishing an Irish goverment that would serve the interests of all Irishmen and women, be they Prodestant or Catholic, to make Irismen citizens and to make all citizens Irishmen.

Of course we all know the outcome of the events leading up to and post 1798, but the local folklore, tales of daring and do (from both sides!) that has arisen from that period is amazing and for me all too addictive! :D

CroppyBoy1798

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

The Land War is my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

War of Independance gets my vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Rocker

The period in Ireland from about 1910 to 1927 i.e. the foundation and establishment of the Irish state. Very interesting period in Irish history in that so much happened so quickly, it established the state and the party system in Ireland that has lasted to this day and there were so many great characters and events.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

From The war of Independence right up to 1927

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The free state without a doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

The Gaelic and Literary revival and the establishment of the Free State.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The time of the Bardic Schools ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Why the Celtic Tiger of course.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭valen

I like the early 11th century - where the boghopping crazy irish natives decided to join their new Norse neighbours and start gathering in towns, to provide an alternative urban Irish outlook to the monasteries.

At the same time, nutjobs like Boru gave the High Kingship a last hurrah, which showed for the first time the documented use of terror to enforce the idea of 'Ireland' as a nation.

That said, I wouldn't be a big fan of the narrow leinte that were the style of the time. Not flattering in anyway shape or form.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

1775-1847

The lifetime of the Liberator.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Has to be the time Ireland set out on a plan of world domination in the soccer fields (1990-2002).

RIP Irish soccer :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

The period from the death of Parnell to 1920, the complete revolution of a mindset.
    On a journey from a to b, the country literally did a 3-point-turn and headed for c. I find the politcal and social awakenings of this time completely fascinating and even somewhat saddening.

I also like that period from 1169 to The Plantations, that is - the arrival of the Normans in Ireland, and all that they brought with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Scigaithris

Now! "We" make history now! Should we not favour what we do most? If not, then there's work to be done to make it so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

The whole Cultural Nationalism period - all aspects of it. From the revival of the Irish language to the founding of the GAA. Might be the general topic for my L.C. History Project.

edit: not 100% on the History project - might end up doing the 'Young Irelanders' - something along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Irish Soldiers in World War 1.

Just found out that my mother's cousin was one of them. He got US citizenship just as the Yanks came on at half-time and got drafted. Luckily he came through without a scratch.

One of my favourite books is Stand To-A diary of the Trenches by Capt F C Hitchcock from Co. Offaly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

1594 to 1603. The one and only chance to change the history of Ireland and probably the world and we screwed it up major.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

now. people are better off (well most of hopefully were getting there), there is peace in northern ireland (for the time being at least), people are emigrating normally by choice, irish society is lot more open minded (although there are some pitfalls like some of the rubbish that gets on tv), more people have oppurtunities of going to college/fas/return to education schemes,

and most importantly, we are free from foreign rule (well pretend globalism dont count and usa are not in shannon) free to choose are own destiny etc

second would be the Jack Charlton years. (get delaney out, fai 1988-2002,died tragegially in saipan, rip)

third eddie o'sulivan years 1999- present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

My favourite period is Ireland during "the Emergency" World War II. I always like reading articles about it, for instance my local branch line Railway when it was open had to run the steam trains off Turf and and other such thing's like that fascinate me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Around 1912 - 1923.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 forgodssake22

1916-1922 it all gets boring after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Pre-christian Ireland, simply because its the period I know the least about really. The challenge to learn about different aspects of history is what makes it interesting to me. That's not to say I find all the above periods disinteresting of course....

Advertisement