Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aldi CD/MP3 player

Options
  • 19-06-2006 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

There have been threads on the subject before, but seeing as Aldi are releasing a new batch on Thursday, I thought I'd ask for a few opinions.

I need to get a new stereo, as the one that came with the car is not unlockable :mad: . I'd like to know people's opinions on this particular player, I know it was on sale around a year ago so maybe some of you have it. I'd also like to know if it will work with the steering wheel remote? I've got a Peugeot 306.

I've taken out the old stereo, and there are three seperate ISO connectors, and an aerial lead at the back. Each one would only fit into its own particular socket in the original Peugeot Radio, so I assume these would be just as easy to install with the Aldi player?

Overall, any thoughts/opinions and advice are welcome.

Edit: I noticed another thread wheren people's batteries were being worn down by this radio - would this be a case of faulty installation, or a faulty player?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have the old version of this from a year ago - it doesn't take the memory cards or have a USB port, just mp3 cd's and cdrw's/normal cd's/radio. I find it great. It takes an annoyingly long time to spin up the disc and start playing when you start the engine, but its fine after that.
    I'm considering getting one of the new ones just so I can plug a 1gb usb stick into it so that I can easily update the music on it, rather than re-recording CDRW's over and over.

Dunno about using the steering wheel controls - I doubt it supports them to be honest. Last year's model only has the ISO speaker/power/aerial connectors.

If your car has non-standard leads, you can get an ISO harness for most models from motor factors quite cheaply.

With regard to your last question, I'd say faulty installation. I've had mine for a year with no ill effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I might pick one up for the speedboat - the stereo in it atm doesnt support MP3 cd's, but this has the bonus of a usb/SD connector

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

Cheers. Attached below is a picture of the four leads that were in the back of the Peugeot radio - I assume the three ISO will fit simply into the back of the Tevion, along with the aerial? Its my first time installing a car radio, but I'm led to believe its fairly straghtforward :confused:

Also, does this stereo physically fit most cars? I've attached another picture of the dash, I'm sure it does, but better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The stereo should slot right in. but the remote audio controls won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

To maintain steering controls, you will need an adaptor and a head unit that is compatible with steering controls (lots of Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, etc are). I'd recommend trying www.incarexpress.co.uk, if you want to go that way. You won't get a HU with USB/memory card for anything like Aldi money but you'll get an entry level MP3/WMA HU compatible with controls for around €100. Controls, fascia adaptor (if desired / necessary) & shipping extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

I purchased the cd/mp3 player on thursday and installed it there saturday. the release keys that came with the tevion released the old kenwood unit that was in the car, so I was well happy. I had to buy the ISO adapter for the corolla which did cost €20 but id say if you shopped around you could get a better deal (I was in a hurry to get up and running.) Im fairly happy so far although I dont find the display great during the day. I can see track no. and elapsed time but all the little extra symbols aren't great.

6ix there seems do be a fair bit of damage done with a Screwdriver? to that poor puegeot.:( I know the back of the tevion unit only has two ISO sockets and the aerial connector doesn't look like that?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You probably have the long jack for aerial, there are adaptors though the aerial plug on 6ix's car. Only a few euro at most.

Advertisement