Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What could be wrong with my car??

Options
  • 19-06-2006 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi,

I drive a 1.2 Fiat Stilio, I am having two worring issues with it. The first is that now and again the rev counter shoots up but stops when I lift my foot of the accelerator and it only really happens when I am changing gears. I have spoken to a number of my friends about this and the general opinion is that it is the butterfly joint under the accelerator that keeps getting stuck but what I cant figure out is that the speed does not increase in ration the rev counter shooting up so I am thinking that it may be a problem with the clutch. The other problem is that it has just recently started happening is that when I take off the car shakes/vibrates could it be a bearing problem? Any help would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Does the engine actually rev up or does the needle just shoot up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭deadfingers

No the actual engiene revs up as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Sounds like your clutch is gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

is the cluch engaged, ie your foot is off the pedal, when the revs climb, or is it just as you engage the gear, release the cluch pedal, and accelerate?
    It all sound like a fecked cluch, as you take off, it sounds like clutch shudder, basically the cluch is only juct catching as you drive off, giving a shudder or vibration. Simple test: Drive of as normal, but engage top gear at low revs. Then floor it. If the revs climb, but the car doesnt accelerate, then the clutch is knackered!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

What the Magoo said - clutch burned out. Stick the car in second gear, rev it to 2000 revs, hold the car on the handbrake and let the clutch out slowly and see if you can stall the engine. If you can stall it, the clutch is ok.

'cptr

• Advertisement

I was hoping it would be something simple but if the clutch is gone then the clutch is gone. I did notice that it is more sluggish in terms of acclerating off. How would it cost on average to replace a clutch?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I was hoping it would be something simple but if the clutch is gone then the clutch is gone. I did notice that it is more sluggish in terms of acclerating off. How would it cost on average to replace a clutch?

300-400 on average

I persume you mean euro's and not cent's!!!:( Ah well thanks for all the help guy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Clutch is definately slipping.

Dont get it done in a Fiat garage - they wanted IR£450 to change the clutch on a 4 year old punto in 01. Ridiculous amount. Did it ourselves for IR£80

Find a decent independent garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

commited wrote:
    Clutch is definately slipping.

Dont get it done in a Fiat garage - they wanted IR£450 to change the clutch on a 4 year old punto in 01. Ridiculous amount. Did it ourselves for IR£80

Find a decent independent garage.

I assume thats the parts only cost. You can hardly compare that directly with a main dealer price can you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,412 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

where in the country are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I assume thats the parts only cost. You can hardly compare that directly with a main dealer price can you?
    Of course. I was simply showing how large the price for labour was.

An independent garage will always be cheaper.

Advertisement