Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

iPod car connection options

Options
  • 19-06-2006 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

I was wondering other than a radio wave transmitter (apparently bad sound quality) or tape adaptor (my car stereo doesn't have a tape player) what are my options for connecting an iPod to my car stereo. Oh and I don't have an 'aux' input but I do have a cd player.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

alansan wrote:
    I was wondering other than a radio wave transmitter (apparently bad sound quality) or tape adaptor (my car stereo doesn't have a tape player) what are my options for connecting an iPod to my car stereo. Oh and I don't have an 'aux' input but I do have a cd player.

Any advice appreciated.

Dension Ice Link Plus (200 euro approx) or FM (100 euro approx)

http://www.dension.com/icelinkplus.php

http://www.dension.com/icelinkfm.php

Halfords have them both, or available on the Apple Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I have the ICE Link Plus, and I couldn't be happier with it. I had the official MINI/BMW one, but threw that out because it disabled the front of the ipod, and I had to create playlists for what I wanted to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I'm also interested in this, I have one of the opel cd/tuner built-in jobbies.

like this: http://www.in.gr/auto/dokimes/pr_dokimes_in/Opel_Signum/big/in_Opel_Signum_20T_29.jpg

Although mine might be slightly older. So, is there a way I could direct connect an mp3 player aux (with a bit of work etc).

Those ICELink guys look like they *might* work, but they are quite expensive.

I've been using an FM transmitter, and frankly the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.

*edit* - i suppose the easiest way would be to get a replacment fascia and put in a stereo with an aux-in. Is there a way though to keep the Opel LED Display working?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

The Dension ICE link is the way to go, however I have the FM link and I have had no end of problems with it. My stereo is BOSE and for some reason its not very compatible with anything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Pioneer DEH-P5800MP + CD-IB 100

I have my iPod concealed in the glovebox with a connection running behind the dash to the stereo. I don't have to worry about taking the iPod when I am leaving the car. I control it from the head-unit.

This means that I have to use playlists but it is a lot safer to have 10 to 15 playlists to chose from rather than playing with your iPod while driving. I swap my playlists around about once a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

check out

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default.aspx

very cool bit of kit .. have seen it in a few cars and works like a dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭alansan

Bazman, did you get the Ice Link FM to work? If so how was the sound quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

alansan wrote:
    Bazman, did you get the Ice Link FM to work? If so how was the sound quality?

Not really - it is different to the ICE link plus, as the BOSE stereo wont support this. When the FM link works its pretty good, however my problem is that there is irregular interference. I brought it back to the place that fitted it and they put in a new one - It still didnt work - they were stumped. However I know of some people with the same car and stereo (Nissan 350z) who it works perfectly for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

ballooba wrote:
    Pioneer DEH-P5800MP + CD-IB 100

I have my iPod concealed in the glovebox with a connection running behind the dash to the stereo. I don't have to worry about taking the iPod when I am leaving the car. I control it from the head-unit.

This means that I have to use playlists but it is a lot safer to have 10 to 15 playlists to chose from rather than playing with your iPod while driving. I swap my playlists around about once a week.
    I have one of these too but have been a little disappointed with it. Display doesn't scroll and when you disconnect it and reconnect it then it forgets what album it is playing and when I skip to the next album it just starts again. I don't keep it in the glove box though in case the car is broken into, I adapted my rear cup holder to hold it. Presuming knackers that break in won't open the rear cup holder.

Advertisement