Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Test Resit

Options
  • 19-06-2006 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭

Morning all,

Just got a call from the Department of Transport inviting me to resit my test next week - I guess the letter from work thing DOES work as I only reapplied 3 weeks ago! :)

I failed mostly on progress through busy roundabouts last time - I don't feel it's worth getting the front of my car ripped off by some idiot who doesn't know how to indicate/what lane they should be in - but any advice, aside from get some lessons!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I can't be bothered to search thru this forum to bring to the fore the amount of people that have attacked me with personal insults included because I said I could, and most of my family and friends could get a test within 2 months after applying for it.

So now all the L drivers on here going on about taking 12-15 months for a test at last we can see this is not true and they are just taking the handy route of driving on a L plate which is illegal. Hope the Garda start to persue into this more. With the new regulations been brought to the Driving instructors I hope the old excuse of "its the system" from all L drivers can be got rid of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

I've a resit tomorrow, the letter thing really works!

I did a 2 hour session with RAC on friday last and am going to do another hour with them before the test.

Last time around I went through an orange light, I thought I was too close at the time and would have had to jam on, ie. too dangerous to stop etc.

Lesson learned, this time, I will stop and utilise the awesome power of the seatbelts :)

Other advice:

Don't cross your hands while steering: Didn't know this one before apparently it's bad, I always do it. Oops.

Car clean inside and out, word has it that a particular instructor will 'find a reason to fail you' if they're not 'happy with the surroundings'

Check all your lights/indicators and tyres beforehand.

Keep under the speed limit and drive safely.

Good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Big Nelly wrote:
    So now all the L drivers on here going on about taking 12-15 months for a test at last we can see this is not true and they are just taking the handy route of driving on a L plate which is illegal.
    Bull****. Some people decide to do it the honourable way, and end up waiting 12-15 months because so many others are jumping the queue ahead of them.

The waiting lists are that long, there's no doubt about it. Think of it this way - if everybody got a letter from work, then no-one would be any better off, and you'd still be waiting a year for your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I failed mostly on progress through busy roundabouts last time - I don't feel it's worth getting the front of my car ripped off by some idiot who doesn't know how to indicate/what lane they should be in - but any advice, aside from get some lessons!
    Cheers

If you weren't making enough progress for the tester, then I'd imagine that you're erring on the side of caution at roundabouts. Given that no-one can advise you to proceed when you don't feel it's safe to do so, I'd suggest concentrating on busy roundabouts during your pre-test practise driving. The more used to them you get, the more the necessary calculations will become automatic; you'll find yourself making more progress while still being comfortable.

seamus wrote:
    Bull****. Some people decide to do it the honourable way, and end up waiting 12-15 months because so many others are jumping the queue ahead of them.

The waiting lists are that long, there's no doubt about it. Think of it this way - if everybody got a letter from work, then no-one would be any better off, and you'd still be waiting a year for your test.

Ahh the usual rant, ok I did include a letter, my friend didnt and she got hers a month after the date. So go have a rant somewhere else, the OP said about a letter. I never mentioned it.

• Advertisement

Lucutus wrote:
    Car clean inside and out, word has it that a particular instructor will 'find a reason to fail you' if they're not 'happy with the surroundings'

These two are far more important than one would let on. Though they shouldn't, an instructor will make judgements about you based on your appearance, and the appearance of your car. The same goes for bikes - a guy turning up in jeans and runners on a filthy bike has instantly hindered his chances of passing the test.

Remove all the rubbish from the car, hoover the mats and don't leave anything sitting on the dash (especially in the little section in front of the passenger). If you've an external CD player or MP3 Player, stick it in the glove box along with any other cigarette lighter attachments. Go to the car wash on your way to the test centre.

Best of luck Kaiser. Roundabouts are a bit of pain in the test - wait too long, and you're screwed on progress, don't wait long enough and you'll fail for cutting someone off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Big Nelly wrote:
    So now all the L drivers on here going on about taking 12-15 months for a test at last we can see this is not true and they are just taking the handy route of driving on a L plate which is illegal. Hope the Garda start to persue into this more.

I hope the Garda pursue all the people committing fraud who send in letters to skip to the top of the waiting list when there is no real need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

seamus wrote:
    These two are far more important than one would let on. Though they shouldn't, an instructor will make judgements about you based on your appearance, and the appearance of your car. The same goes for bikes - a guy turning up in jeans and runners on a filthy bike has instantly hindered his chances of passing the test.

Remove all the rubbish from the car, hoover the mats and don't leave anything sitting on the dash (especially in the little section in front of the passenger). If you've an external CD player or MP3 Player, stick it in the glove box along with any other cigarette lighter attachments. Go to the car wash on your way to the test centre.

Best of luck Kaiser. Roundabouts are a bit of pain in the test - wait too long, and you're screwed on progress, don't wait long enough and you'll fail for cutting someone off.
    I know.. it's a very subjective thing :(

Car is usually spotless so that won't be a problem. I'll just have to book some lessons this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The letter system should be scrapped as it is unfair to others. Also how many are sending in fake letters?

Lucutus wrote:
    I've a resit tomorrow, the letter thing really works!

I did a 2 hour session with RAC on friday last and am going to do another hour with them before the test.

Last time around I went through an orange light, I thought I was too close at the time and would have had to jam on, ie. too dangerous to stop etc.

Lesson learned, this time, I will stop and utilise the awesome power of the seatbelts :)

Other advice:

Don't cross your hands while steering: Didn't know this one before apparently it's bad, I always do it. Oops.

Keep under the speed limit and drive safely.

Good luck. :)
    Ta for that... I was ok on most of the other stuff, though he did get me for speeding:

After coming left off a roundabout onto a dual carriageway, I indicated right so as not to enter a buslane when I see this Punto coming up beside me indicating left??? and drifting left as she did so.

So do I either:

- Stop dead and let her decide where she's going?? :confused:
    - Overtake her before she runs into me?

I chose the latter but got done doing about 65kph in a 60 zone I figure :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Don't forget the observation. Obivious glances into the mirrors every few seconds. Hands should be at '10 to 2' and not resting on gear stick, out the window etc.

wingnut wrote:
    Don't forget the observation. Obivious glances into the mirrors every few seconds. Hands should be at '10 to 2' and not resting on gear stick, out the window etc.
    Automatic's are so much easier :)

That's the thing about the driving test one other road user can fcuk it up for you.

I have often wondered about commentating in a situation like that and say "well Mr.Tester I have two choices here, there is a driver coming up inside me illegally on the bus lane I can break dangerously causing a disturbance to every other road user behind me or I can accelerate to 65kph and safely get out ahead of her, which will you penalise me least for??"

Vegeta wrote:
    I hope the Garda pursue all the people committing fraud who send in letters to skip to the top of the waiting list when there is no real need for it.

Where is all this cr*p about Fraud coming from? I need a car for work everyday and thats why I got a letter. Simple as that! if you have a problem with that well thats your own problem and not mine. If you company wont give you a letter then you dont need a car for work. End of story.

Use public transport. I seem to remember from a conversation on here before you drive to work and there is options for public transport so no wonder your job doesnt provide you with a letter. Also I think kaiser the last time used a letter and was waiting alot longer so its not only the letter, kaiser can confirm

Big Nelly wrote:
    Where is all this cr*p about Fraud coming from? I need a car for work everyday and thats why I got a letter. Simple as that! if you have a problem with that well thats your own problem and not mine. If you company wont give you a letter then you dont need a car for work. End of story.

Use public transport. I seem to remember from a conversation on here before you drive to work and there is options for public transport so no wonder your job doesnt provide you with a letter. Also I think kaiser the last time used a letter and was waiting alot longer so its not only the letter, kaiser can confirm
    No Nelly.. Didn't use a letter last time. Only had the provisional a little while and didn't think there was much point in trying to get a test asap without getting lessons/experience etc first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

seamus wrote:

I agree, it took 13 months for my first test. I've been waiting 6 months so far, but am going to apply for a cancellation, as at the current rate I will not get a test before my insurance renewal (the amount of companies that run when they hear the word "provisional" is ridiculous).

Sarn wrote:
    I agree, it took 13 months for my first test. I've been waiting 6 months so far, but am going to apply for a cancellation, as at the current rate I will not get a test before my insurance renewal (the amount of companies that run when they hear the word "provisional" is ridiculous).

FBD are one company and because of this my insurance drops every year. Bloke I know who was on his provisional rang them up to ask for a quote. They said ring back in 5 years if he has his full license!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 my little pony

So now all the L drivers on here going on about taking 12-15 months for a test at last we can see this is not true and they are just taking the handy route of driving on a L plate which is illegal. Hope the Garda start to persue into this more./QUOTE]

seriously are you totally oblivious to what is happening in the country!!!!!! ....wake up. People who do not have the fortune of getting a letter from work do have to wait 12 months for a test and would rather have a full licence...there is no handy route when you have a provisional licence, we pay higher Insurance, can't legally drive on the motorway etc...

seriously are you totally oblivious to what is happening in the country!!!!!! ....wake up. People who do not have the fortune of getting a letter from work do have to wait 12 months for a test and would rather have a full licence...there is no handy route when you have a provisional licence, we pay higher Insurance, can't legally drive on the motorway etc...
    Exactly..

Nelly, you seem to think that anyone who's waiting longer than a few weeks is just lazy or couldn't be bothered, when the reality is not everyone can go the route of skipping the queue - remember it's meant to be only possible if you have a legitimate business need for it!

Why would anyone want to pay substantially more in insurance and be restricted to where they can use their car?? :confused:

Big Nelly wrote:

Never said you committed fraud Nelly, I am just advising others from doing so. Fair enough apply for a cancelation. You have called people slow for not sending in a letter from their employer. I have applied for a cancelation but that's as far as I will go. I would not advise anyone to sign their bosses name just to get one.

EDIT: Yeah public transport is an option if I want to get fired as I am late for work everyday using it, I'd also be stranded at night cos the buses stop running. Oh maybe i should get a taxi and spend all my dailiy wages on a taxis, 50 euro each way. No wait the train...hang on there is no train in my home town. So i better quit my job

• Advertisement

Ah you see, now you've switched your rant from "The wait isn't that long, you're obviously just not interested in doing your test", to "The wait may be long, but you have other options, if you don't need it, don't send in a letter". Remember that many provisional drivers are on their second provisionals. Whether you agree with it or not, they can legally drive on L plates.

The wait is long, but it does seem to be a bit of a lottery at times; The first time I applied for my bike test, I was 14 months waiting, the second time (I applied that day - rental bike broke down on the way to the test centre :() I had the test 6 months after applying.

Sorry to hijack Kaiser, but I can't believe someone doesn't think the waiting lists are a reality - even the drivingtest.ie website disagrees with him.

Just to clarify I suppose.. I have a business need for my car in work and the letter I got was drafted and signed off on our HR department.

I wouldn't have forged one just to skip the queue myself.

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Just to clarify I suppose.. I have a business need for my car in work and the letter I got was drafted and signed off on our HR department.

I wouldn't have forged one just to skip the queue myself.

Another thing to watch for doing your turnabout is make sure you know when to look over your right and left shoulders. My friend failed his last week for failing to look over his shoulder, grade 3. So it was all over for one slip in concentration.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭shellie11

Vegeta wrote:
    Another thing to watch for doing your turnabout is make sure you know when to look over your right and left shoulders. My friend failed his last week for failing to look over his shoulder, grade 3. So it was all over for one slip in concentration.

thats good advice,Im doing my driving test this evening, and i didnt know that not looking over your shoulder was a grade 3 marking.Oh im soo nervous now,i've gotten lessons and i had 3 mock tests and passed them all but the real thing will be much different cos i wont be relaxed and ill probly go blank when they are asking me the questions aaaaah :(

shellie11 wrote:
    thats good advice,Im doing my driving test this evening, and i didnt know that not looking over your shoulder was a grade 3 marking.Oh im soo nervous now,i've gotten lessons and i had 3 mock tests and passed them all but the real thing will be much different cos i wont be relaxed and ill probly go blank when they are asking me the questions aaaaah :(
    Well good luck :) I was grand till I got in there.. its the waiting for 20 mins that makes you nervous.

Once I got started I was a bit nervous for a few minutes but then I figured "feck it.. I'll just drive how I normally drive" and that seemed to work - no problems with the turnabout or reversing around the corner.. it was just the progress through roundabouts that did me in, and the aforementioned "speeding incident" ;) I got 10 grade 2 faults.. one less and I would've passed :( Damn that woman in her Punto!

shellie11 wrote:

Grade 3 in the turnabout (3 point turn) anyway. Same as not ever looking over you right shoulder when reversing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Vegeta wrote:

Oh, good nugget of advice there. Also, check over your shoulder when reversing around the corner.

this thread is helping me already...

gl with the test shellie.

Vegeta wrote:
    Grade 3 in the turnabout (3 point turn) anyway. Same as not ever looking over you right shoulder when reversing
    Well, it's grade 3 at certain points of it anyway. You need to look over your shoulder just before beginning the manouver (as you would whenever you move off from the kerb). When you're in the middle of the road, you obviously look left and right to see if there is any traffic coming, and you also need to look behind you for kids, trees, animals, cars pulling out of drives, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭shellie11

Thanks guys,yeh im nervous about the reversing round corner,cos when i was doing the lessons i was ending up too far away from the kerb when he asked me to stop.And they can do you on that,plus when i was doing the turnabout my back wheel hit off the kerb so hopefully that doesnt happen today either..

• Advertisement

shellie11 wrote:
    Thanks guys,yeh im nervous about the reversing round corner,cos when i was doing the lessons i was ending up too far away from the kerb when he asked me to stop.And they can do you on that,plus when i was doing the turnabout my back wheel hit off the kerb so hopefully that doesnt happen today either..

when doing those things take your time, you will make even more mistakes if you rush it.

Advertisement