Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

planes trains and automobiles

Options
  • 18-06-2006 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

guys, this trip to collect my new car is turning into an organizational nightmare. i need to get from cork to cheshire and it's getting so convoluted, i'm afraid to book anything. need a little help here.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

What are you trying to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

why not get a flight from Cork to a few destinations in the UK, one of which is closest fo cheshire? www.aerarann.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

And then get a taxi or hire a car to get to your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are National Rail services that will take you from Holyhead straight into Chesire county. So I reckon your best bet is to get to Dublin, take the ferry to Holyhead, and a train to Chesire. Then get a taxi/bus to your destination. Book a return ferry trip to get the car back to Dublin and drive home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Your best bet is to fly to Manchester airport (which straddles the border between Gtr. Manchester and Cheshire) and get the train from there. Where in Cheshire is it, I'm originally from Cheshire so may be able to help..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Gatster wrote:
    Your best bet is to fly to Manchester airport (which straddles the border between Gtr. Manchester and Cheshire) and get the train from there. Where in Cheshire is it, I'm originally from Cheshire so may be able to help..?

hyde. your help would be fantastic!!
    i need to be able to travel earlyish in the day in order to not restrict access to ferries. ideally i would like to go this saturday 24th but if i can't, i can go any other day (they're all equally inconvenient) BMI baby have a flight around 13:30 on sat. this might cut it fine. thanks Gatster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

cantdecide wrote:
    hyde. your help would be fantastic!!
    i need to be able to travel earlyish in the day in order to not restrict access to ferries. ideally i would like to go this saturday 24th but if i can't, i can go any other day (they're all equally inconvenient) BMI baby have a flight around 13:30 on sat. this might cut it fine. thanks Gatster

Without knowing where you want to go it is hard to give good advice. What is the name of the town?

grammatical error. Hyde is the name of the town in cheshire.
    i think i may i have cracked it though- 23rd (friday). aer arann flight @ 11:00am from waterford to manchester arriving @12:15. (€111). stena line ferry from holyhead @18:30 arriving 20:50 in dun laoghaire(€191). and blast all the way home! am i missing something obvious here or should i just go ahead and book it?????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

There are 3 stations in Hyde (Hyde Central, Hyde North and Newton for Hyde), it is 45-60 mns by train with a change in Manchester Piccadilly.

If that flight is on time you should get to Hyde by 2pm

You would want to leave at least 3 hours to get from there for the ferry so that only leaves you around an hour to collect the car and get going.

After the 18.30 HSS the next ferries are at 2.30/2.50 am.

train times are here http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cantdecide wrote:
    grammatical error. Hyde is the name of the town in cheshire.
    i think i may i have cracked it though- 23rd (friday). aer arann flight @ 11:00am from waterford to manchester arriving @12:15. (€111). stena line ferry from holyhead @18:30 arriving 20:50 in dun laoghaire(€191). and blast all the way home! am i missing something obvious here or should i just go ahead and book it?????

I've collected cars from the UK a few times, and I've always taken the earliest flight possible out - things have a habit of taking longer than they should. Is there any possibility that the seller could meet you at Manchester airport?

• Advertisement

it's not out of the question i'm sure, but i want to take nothing for granted. i have a feeling the salesman probably won't be inclined to be over-helpful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

just make life easier on yourself and book a night in a local pub/hotel once you've collected the car.

Advertisement