Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can i drive car with faulty alternator?

Options
  • 18-06-2006 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi Have a 1999 astra and the battery light came on last night and when i tried to start it this morning the battery was dead. Im taking for granted that it is the alternator but im no expert.

Going to ring garage to see when they can have a look at it but in the mean time i have a battery pack to jump start it in the meantime. I know some cars have the alternator attached to the cooling system but im almost sure thats not the case here but as i said im no expert.

Question 1: How much am i looking at getting it replaced and would the likes of Advance pitstop look after this?

Question 2: Am i hurting the engine in doing this? will it cause any long term problems charging thr battery with battery pack?

Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

To check if its the alternator:

When the engine is running, pop the bonnet and put a multi-meter accross the 2 battery terminals. It should read 13.8v, if it doesnt, its the alternator thats dead

There could be something else drawing a current though

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Check that your fanbelt isn't broken. At least that way it'll be driving the water pump. So long as you carry the starter pack with you and don't mind getting out to start the car if you let it cut out, then you should be ok. It is unlikely to do any further damage to your alternator or anything else. This will work for a short journey. Remember, your car needs electric power to run the ignition, radio, lights, etc, so before too long there wont be enough in the battery to do this, never mind start it, then your looking for a pull!!!

My advice, go get it repaired before taking it anywhere other than to the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

Id get that looked at asap if your alternator is gone you could risk cooking your battery on a long journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

Hi Have a 1999 astra and the battery light came on last night and when i tried to start it this morning the battery was dead. Im taking for granted that it is the alternator but im no expert.

Going to ring garage to see when they can have a look at it but in the mean time i have a battery pack to jump start it in the meantime. I know some cars have the alternator attached to the cooling system but im almost sure thats not the case here but as i said im no expert.

Question 1: How much am i looking at getting it replaced and would the likes of Advance pitstop look after this?

Question 2: Am i hurting the engine in doing this? will it cause any long term problems charging thr battery with battery pack?

Tks

Can be alternator or the rectifier. The rectifier converts the AC output from the alternator to the DC voltage usaed by your car electrics.

But .. have a little think about what you are suggesting.

You start the car with the battery pack . .which probably charges your battery a little while your at it. Once you remove this battery pack you are now relying on the battery to supply your electrical power (Assuming there is no output from the rectifier).

The car will drain the battery and die at some point on your journey. You might get away with a short journey. You may become a road hazard depending on road-position/speed you are doing when it happens.

Not a sensible thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah, I'd be very surprised if a modern car with engine management, electronic fuel injection and all that junk can run long without a working alternator....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

The car will drain the battery and die at some point on your journey. You might get away with a short journey. You may become a road hazard depending on road-position/speed you are doing when it happens.

That is very true. Battery power is needed to run most modern cars, and they will die when it drains.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Folks

Played it safe and monday morning drove it straight to garage about 8 miles away. Rang me today to say it was part in the alternator that was faulty so they got the part and all is fine.

Took the oppportunity to get 2 new tryes and the tracking done also so all is good

Dwayne

Advertisement